What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

HPE Virtual Connect Sensor

Votes:

My HPE Virtual Connect is setup as Active/Passive, I only have two virtual connect bays at this time. PRTG is monitoring both Virtual Connect bays independently, currently when one bay is a "Passive state", it shows as "down" due to no traffic being passed monitored. This is a false positive in my opinion due to the setup of the Virtual Connect. Is there a setting or setup in PRTG that understands that when one virtual connect module bay is not in use will not to show up in a "down" state when not active, but if both virtual connect module are "down" will then trigger a "down" state? I can not find or figure out a way to configure PRTG to monitor each virtual connect module to monitor each other without one module always showing up as down. I have looked into dependencies, but this does not appear to work. any assistance will be appreciated.

active-passive prtg traffic-monitoring

Created on Oct 12, 2020 2:22:15 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi,

you can use a business process sensor to only trigger an alarm if both of the interfaces are down.

The following Knowledge-Base article explains how the business process sensor works, including some examples: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/66647-how-does-the-business-process-sensor-calculate-summarized-sensor-states.

Kind regards,
Matthias Kupfer - Team Tech Support

Created on Oct 13, 2020 2:05:05 PM by  Matthias Kupfer [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.