What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG should support scram-sha-256 as authentication method

Votes:

Want this feature implemented, too? Please upvote by clicking Thumbs up!

(Posts as a reply won't be published in this feature request thread. Read Me!)

User Story

As a PRTG User, I want to use scram-sha-256 aus authentication method for PostgreSQL, but PRTG actually only supports AuthenticationClearTextPassword and AuthenticationMD5Password supported.

Details of User Story

Due to the regulations of BSI in Postgresql has to be changed the authentication method from MD5 to scram-sha-256, see: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/auth-password.html Because PRTG actually not supports scram-sha-256, we can't monitor PostgreSQL databases no more.

It's suprising, that this is the first feature request to that theme: PRTG uses MD5, which is due to BSI Basic Protection no more allowed since 2017

Acceptance criteria

• support of scram-sha-256

Status

Open

authentication-method md5 postgresql scram scram-sha-256

Created on Dec 2, 2020 12:46:24 PM

Last change on Jan 5, 2022 12:14:41 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

2 Replies

Votes:

I strongly support this.

It doesn't make sense that the monitoring system requires us to enable deprecated protocols which no real user ever will use.

A monitoring system that is accessing the monitored system via a different protocol (md5) than all the users (scram-sha-256) is nearly useless.

And as far as I understood the reason for this is the inclusion of an ancient version of the library from more than a decade ago (see https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/88969-prtg-should-use-newer-npgsql-dll).

Created on Jun 11, 2021 1:56:07 PM

Votes:

Finally: Release 22.2.76.1705 updates the ancient library and henceforth allows us to use this sensor again.

Created on Jun 14, 2022 5:08:35 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.