What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can I install 2 remote probes for the same company?

Votes:

I work at an MSP that services multiple companies. In our PRTG instance we have 1 probe for each company. One of our companies is getting a new server and that one happens to be the one our PRTG probe is installed on. I want to add the new server as another probe device under this company in our PRTG instance without it creating a new entry for this company. Is this possible?

installation prtg remote-probe

Created on Feb 26, 2021 3:49:25 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Can you please clarify a little bit more about the situation of the different companies and the same server you have already as a probe? I would like to make sure I understand the scenario correctly.

Thanks,

Miguel Aikens

Created on Feb 26, 2021 10:42:35 PM by  Miguel Aikens [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Hello Miguel;

Whenever we add a new company to our PRTG instance I install the remote probe on one of their servers. This creates an entry in PRTG at the root. We then use this probe and add all of the companies other devices under it. So we'll have ROOT-CompanyA-Server1, ROOT-CompanyA-Server2, ROOT-CompanyB-Server1, etc...

Two of the companies we monitor have gotten new servers recently and these servers happen to be the ones that the PRTG Remote Probe is installed on. I need to install the PRTG Remote Probe on their new server and would like to not have to re-create the entire company hierarchy in PRTG. How can I accomplish this?

Created on Mar 9, 2021 1:47:43 PM

Votes:

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

If I understand correctly you would like to move/migrate the remote probe into a new server, correct? If this is the case then you can use the following knowledgebase article which is really helpful. https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/1123-how-do-i-move-a-prtg-probe-from-one-pc-to-another

You can copy the sensors into the new probe.

Hope this helps.

Miguel Aikens

Created on Mar 9, 2021 10:52:23 PM by  Miguel Aikens [Paessler Technical Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.