What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Suggestion: "Reverse" ICMP Sensor

Votes:

Hi,

Perhaps this already exists or its not possible for whatever reason(s).

I just had an idea pop into my head for a "reverse" ICMP sensor. Instead of the PRTG server probe sending an ICMP request to a target, the server/probe listens for ICMPs from a host.

One of the biggest problems is monitoring devices that are protected and/or hidden by firewalls, NAT, etc. To overcome this problem I understand Paessler will be beta testing a probe that can live within those protected networks and that don't rely on an expensive Windows Server.

My idea isn't as advanced as the new probe. This assumes the host can ping the PRTG server and that a script or cron job or similar can be run on the host. Essentially the PRTG server would be configured to listen for ICMP on a specific port. A script is installed on a host to send an ICMP to the PRTG server every x seconds. Just like the existing PRTG ICMP sensor, if an ICMP request is not received the host can be presumed to be down.

Multiple hosts could use the same target IP and port and be identified by source IP. If multiple hosts are behind the same public IP, they could be distinguished by sending unique payload sizes or setting various combinations of ICMP flags. There's no need for PRTG to respond to the ICMP, so the host could send a custom UDP datagram instead.

There are obviously limitations to something like this and the remote script can't be managed centrally via the PRTG interface however I thought it might still be worth exploring.

icmp prtg sensor

Created on Mar 12, 2021 3:41:40 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you very much for sharing your idea! Feel free to make a feature request: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/79245-how-can-i-propose-new-features-or-sensors-for-prtg

Did you already take a look at our PRTG Mini Probe: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/61215-where-can-i-find-prtg-mini-probes-which-are-ready-to-use

Best regards!

Created on Mar 16, 2021 2:12:34 PM by  Isidora Jeremic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks. It looks like the HTTP Push Probe is a good solution.

Created on Mar 17, 2021 1:55:47 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.