What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

New Camera Device/Sensor

Votes:

Our PRTG deployment is all about IP Cameras, approaching 8,000 sensors at this point. What we would like is some kind of device template as a new camera is added to the system that would easily capture the Camera Model/MAC. Having this information with 1 click would be WILDLY helpful in the troubleshooting and information gathering process.

I know to some degree if SNMP is configured we can get limited information to that end, but this is not always possible from client to client. Also, adding all of this in a comment or the name of the device is not preferred or clean looking to me.

camera ip-camera new-feature

Created on Mar 12, 2021 2:32:50 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

in case a camera is its own device object, you can use the "System Information" tab to get the MAC and some other information.

If each camera has fixed OIDs, you might be able to use the SNMP Custom String sensor to read the model.

Created on Mar 17, 2021 6:22:57 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

System Information is only usable in the case of cameras IF SNMP is turned on. This unfortunately is not up to us, but our clients, and they are not always willing to do this. In most cases actually they refuse. With no SNMP it really limits the options we do have to work with the IP Cameras.

For this purpose I still think this feature request would be helpful to myself and others.

Created on Mar 17, 2021 6:34:19 PM

Votes:

Hello,

feature requests can be done this way. Please note that PRTG works mostly with OSI layer 3, meaning MAC detection is not something which we focus on with PRTG, we read data provided by a agent running on the target (so that PRTG itself can be agent-less).

Created on Mar 18, 2021 6:04:02 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 18, 2021 6:05:04 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.