What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Easy to find link to upcoming version changes before updating

Votes:

During a check for an update, we are presented with a notification, upgrading to a future version will make x# of sensors go away. A split second after the update check is done, you can no longer read the notification.

I had to o a check for updates about 6 times or more until I read far enough to see if any of the sensors I was using would be affected by that update.

There is a link there to see the features of the CURRENT version running, but not a link to the upcoming changes that potentially could affect the operation of some installs.

So I ran the update check a 7th time, grabbed a portion of the statement before it disappeared, and used a search engine to find the link where I could read more in depth of the future changes.

https://www.paessler.com/prtg/history/preview

In my opinion, I think having that link available 100% of the time on the update page is logical, so that anyone contemplating an upgrade, has a simple link to follow to go view the history and upcoming changes easily, in order to better determine if they might need to install or test replacement sensors etc.

I figure you should be able to add that in the web interface fairly easily.

Love the product.

prtg update web-interface

Created on Mar 31, 2021 10:16:47 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

I have checked the behavior here and this is due by design, when there is no new update.

However, you have the possibility to stop that behavior in the file autoupdatedata.htm located under "C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\webroot\controls". In this file, you will find the following line:

<table class="table" style="<#system type="autoupdate" insert="isupdateinstallernewer" insertifyes="" insertifno="display:none">

Simply remove :none in insertifno="display:none" and then restart the Core service in PRTG Administration Tool > Service Start/Stop take the modification into account.

When going back to Setup > License Information, you should now have the release notes.

Of course, you can see what is coming in the next version vie the release notes of the Preview channel, as you indicated: https://www.paessler.com/prtg/history/preview

Finally, regarding the sensors which will be deprecated in version .67 of PRTG, you will still be able to use the existing ones. The affected sensors won't be removed from your installation, however you won't be able to add them anymore.

Regards.

Created on Apr 1, 2021 12:16:05 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks, but you missed the whole point.

Created on Apr 1, 2021 4:12:12 PM

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

Can you please explain more in details what you would like to achieve?

If you would like to have the link for the release notes of the Preview channel in the Auto-Update menu, then I can only invite you to open a feature request, by following our guideline here: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/79245-how-can-i-propose-new-features-or-sensors-for-prtg

Regards.

Created on Apr 2, 2021 4:54:28 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.