What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to do Cisco Temperatures without states?

Votes:

Hi,

I'm having a hard time to add a sensor that's just getting the temperatures without the states. I just want to have the 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.13.1.3.1.3 OIDs monitored.

I tried adding the snmpciscosystemhealth dynamic sensor with the API and filtering out the 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.13.1.3.1.6 OIDs in the target list, I've tried using the WebGUI and removing the 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.13.1.3.1.6 OIDs from the checkbox value.. whatever I do, the sensor is adding the temperature states as well or just fails to add the sensor properly.

it would also be okay to hide them from graph and tables, but I can't do that through API (only hide from graph) and can't do that as a mass change, either.

There are about 300 switches and each has multiple temperatures on the sensor and thus, multiple unwanted states. There must be a way to optimize that? either adding without or removing/hiding automated.

the custom SNMP sensor is only doing 10 channels, which may be okay for some switches, but most of the 300 switches have 15 temperatures.

Please advise. :)
Thomas

api cisco snmp snmpciscosystemhealth states temperature

Created on Jul 28, 2021 7:30:33 AM

Last change on Jul 28, 2021 12:29:22 PM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi Thomas,

You already mentioned the current limitations to adjust the existing Cisco System Health sensor. As it's not possible via the current API, you might want to check the PowerShell module by LordMilko for the editing. Please be aware that this is at your own risk, so ensure to have a valid backup all the time you change the configuration this way.

We're currently looking into our API implementation for PRTG, changes which are possible via the GUI will most likely be considered for the future API to work as well.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on Jul 30, 2021 7:16:49 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Felix,

I use the C# API Library from LordMilko already and unfortunately there's no Raw Property on Channels - so that doesn't work.

I'm very much looking forward to the new API implementation and hope that this will be able to be adjusted.

Another thing worth looking into is to be able to select which Channels to add when creating the Sensor, maybe as an advanced setting or so.

Created on Aug 10, 2021 8:03:57 AM

Votes:

Hi Thomas,

We'd be happy if you would bringt this feedback in via a Feature Request.

We are working on it, looking very promising to me so far, that's what I can tell.. :)

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on Aug 10, 2021 11:24:00 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.