What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Filtering "known errors" in VMWare Host Hardware (SOAP) sensor

Votes:

Hi there, I have a brand new HPE Proliant with a P408i RAID card that intermittently returns sensor errors like

"Disk 136 on HPSA1 : Port Box 0 Bay 255 : 0GB : Unconfigured Disk : Disk Error; Disk 135 on HPSA1 : Port Box 0 Bay 255 : 0GB : Unconfigured Disk : Disk Error;"

.... and on and on for many Bays and Disks which don't even exist.

My question is, can I filter using "known errors" with a wildcard? For example, anything with "Unconfigured disk" in the error description should never display. For the last two weeks I have tried copy/pasting the errors that come up several times per day into the "known errors", but the combination of bay/error/disk count seems to be endless. Therefore my only way is to be able to do something in the known errors with wildcards.

Something like *Unconfigured disk* -- what is the syntax for wildcards here or is it simply not supported?

prtg vmware wildcards

Created on Aug 3, 2021 5:02:06 PM

Last change on Aug 4, 2021 5:45:24 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

9 Replies

Votes:

Hello, in that field you can only enter the specific error message, or several error messages separated by semicolons, but it is not possible to enter a wildcard for part of the message.

Created on Aug 9, 2021 6:38:36 PM by  Jonathan Mena [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Has anyone found a solution to Filter messages like this? It is a known Issue, and HPE will not fix it as far as i know.

Created on Apr 28, 2022 11:31:22 AM

Votes:

We have seen a previous case with a similar issue, which got resolved by updating the ESXi. We found the below links which indicate the similar behavior as yours: https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00117054en_us

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/74607

You might want to update the ESXI here and check whether this issue occurs or not.

Created on Apr 29, 2022 12:38:44 AM by  Jonathan Mena [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

We have always kept our ESXi hosts perfectly up to date. That is not the issue.

Created on Apr 29, 2022 12:33:32 PM

Votes:

From the PRTG perspective we are unable to determine why is that device providing that information to the PRTG.

Created on May 4, 2022 10:57:15 PM by  Jonathan Mena [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Yeah I get that, and it's not your role to figure it out. The original question was can I filter using "known errors" with a wildcard? It is within your control to add a wildcard and that would be an incredibly useful feature to me an many others.

Created on May 4, 2022 11:36:14 PM

Votes:

At the moment this sensor is not able to use wildcards for filtering. We handle the feature requests in our knowledgebase, you can create a new request for this feature or vote for a request that has been previously requested.

The requests with more votes will get higher priority on our developers department. You can find more information here

Created on May 9, 2022 11:49:54 PM by  Jonathan Mena [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Jonathan's link (https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00117054en_us) seems the golden tip. Thank you!

RESOLUTION To resolve this issue, remove the "smx-providers" from the installed VMware ESXi Operating System by performing either of the following procedures:

Procedure 1: Perform the following commands at the ESXi shell to remove the "smx-providers":

For VMware ESXi 6.5 / 6.7 esxcli software vib remove -n smx-provider

For VMware ESXi 7.0 esxcli software component remove -n smxProvider

For more information about component commands in VMware ESXi 7.x hosts, refer to the following URL: "esxcli software vib" component commands in ESXi 7.x hosts (78356) Non-HPE site

Created on Jul 1, 2022 9:39:36 AM

Votes:

Andreas the smx-provider is the WBEM provider for the HPE SmartArray controller. Wouldn't disabling that also disable our ability to monitor the array for failed drives? That doesn't seem like a reasonable "resolution".

Created on Jul 4, 2022 4:36:26 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.