What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Auto-discovery with multiple subnets

Votes:

Good evening,

Im currently setting up an PRTG POC for a company with around 5000 devices. Normally i would create Auto-discovery groups for each segment of subnet E.g Printers, Servers, Switches, Routers. Now im facing a weired problem... Because of the size of the network they ran out of IPs in the /24 net and they were not able to expand the existing subnet. Now i would like to create ONE group with following subnet in it:

10.10.0.0/24 10.10.15.0/24 10.10.30.0/24

The auto-discovery group won't let me create one pool with seperated networks. The only way i see now is to create 3 different groups with these 3 ranges which isnt really an good solution for me. Is there any way to get these in one group? (+ those are Server networks, means that i need to auto scan daily to add the new ones.)

autodiscovery prtg subnet

Created on Aug 12, 2021 5:04:15 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Alex,

I wasn't precisely enough here, pardon. It will require a full address in each line, so 254*3 entries (lines). It will not recognize /24 notations I'm afraid.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on Aug 13, 2021 1:31:31 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello Alex,

Thanks for reaching out to us!

As you can just choose one subnet for each discovery group, you could think of using the List of individual IP addresses and DNS names (IPv4) option and enter each address of the three subnets manually, one per line.

Would that help you out?

Kind regards,

Created on Aug 13, 2021 9:52:46 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Felix,

I thought the same and tried that as well but it didn't worked. Ive selected the List of individual IP addresses and DNS names (IPv4) and added those Subnets (each SN on a new line). The form dosn't show any error but when i scan its not finding any device. Ive tried it with /24 and as well with the full 255.x.x.x, no difference. So if this should work like that it seems like a bug to me? Its a fresh installation with the latest FW 21.3.69.1333+.

Thanks!

Alex

Created on Aug 13, 2021 10:40:52 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Alex,

I wasn't precisely enough here, pardon. It will require a full address in each line, so 254*3 entries (lines). It will not recognize /24 notations I'm afraid.

Kind regards,

Created on Aug 13, 2021 1:31:31 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Felix,

Well this solution works but its in my eyes a pretty nasty way to do it. Could this be an Option for a further release to search through multiple Subnets?

Thanks!

Created on Aug 16, 2021 6:52:41 AM

Votes:

Hello Alex,

First of all, good to hear that it's working now. We are happy to collect the feedback for evaluation. For this, kindly take a look how you can request the feature and how other users can vote for it.

Thanks again!

Kind regards,

Created on Aug 16, 2021 7:27:02 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.