What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Security sensor for devices that should not be on a subnet or behind a probe.

Votes:

Hello, I would like to have a "matching" sensor checking for devices that should not be on a subnet/ behind a probe.

1. Give a HIGH ALERT notification
  2. Give as much as possible details about that device (start collecting and logging).
  3. Give the option to add the detected strange device on a "safe-list for that probe" or add it to the active monitoring.
  4. The safe list must be easy accessible so users can review the list so now and then.
  5. A report template for incident or anomalie detection with a risk diagram (network info, types of protocols used by the device, to what devices the strange device has been talking etc etc).

anomalie check detection incident match probe reporting scan security

Created on Oct 27, 2021 11:46:45 AM

Last change on Oct 27, 2021 1:27:56 PM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

this is not possible out of the box with PRTG. You might want to look into the PRTG API how one can extract information out of PRTG, and custom notifications in order to run your own scripts upon a notification trigger.

Created on Nov 1, 2021 1:32:54 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Arne,

That is exactly why it's a feature request... To get it upvoted and get a standard sensor for it on each probe (out of the box).

I have time to wait for that (I don't like all this custom scripting because there's alway something wrong with it after updates/ upgrades/ changes in the network etc).

Created on Nov 1, 2021 1:44:09 PM

Votes:

Hello,

for feature requests, please use this template.

As we develop standard software, we look at the standard use case. That means two things: Many requests cannot be implemented as other features are in higher demand. On the other hand, many of the features which do get implemented are based on user feedback.

Created on Nov 1, 2021 5:12:03 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Alright, Can your please delete this one, I have created a new request with the template requirements...

But please see it as a request and don't just start with telling people "this is not possible and create your own script (oh and by the way, we do not support custom scripts).... It's not very motivating....

Do realise that people like PRTG and just would love to get additional functions, it will improve PRTG over time.

Created on Nov 2, 2021 8:30:37 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.