What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Dependent sensors not pausing when master-sensor is paused

Votes:

We have the following situation:

Core_Server > Device_1 > Sensor_Ping (Ping for ESXi host)

Probe_2 > Device_2 > Sensor_Datastore (Datastore for ESXi host via vCenter)

On Sensor_Datastore I have disabled the inheritance of "Schedules, Dependencies, and Maintenance Windows" and instead enabled "Dependency Type > Select a Sensor". As a target I selected "Sensor_Ping"

What I expected would happen: When Core_Server, Device_1 or Sensor_Ping is paused, Sensor_Datastore should change to paused as well. What happens: Sensor_Datastore stays active

Am I making a mistake, or is this not supported?

dependency inheritance pause

Created on Dec 8, 2021 3:15:31 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Dependencies only work with the "down"/error state. So if "Sensor_Ping" is in error state, "Sensor_Datastore" will be paused automatically. If "Sensor_Ping" isn't in error state but paused, the "Sensor_Datastore" will stay active which is by design. Also see: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/76351

Created on Dec 10, 2021 9:38:58 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you for your reply.

In this case I do not really understand the help text for "Dependency Type" in the settings:

"[...] With Select a sensor, you can select a sensor on which the sensor depends. This pauses the sensor if the selected sensor is in the Down status or in the Paused status because of another dependency. [...]"

"...or in the Paused status..." would imply, that the Paused state will be inherited in certain circumstances.

Created on Dec 10, 2021 10:35:26 AM

Votes:

Yes, if the selected sensor is in the paused status because of another dependency, the paused state will indeed be inherited. However it will not be inherited if it's paused manually or by schedule.

Created on Dec 10, 2021 3:31:11 PM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.