What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Netflow sensor should display a warning when flow time information is wrong

Votes:

Want this feature implemented, too? Please upvote by clicking Thumbs up!

(Posts as a reply won't be published in this feature request thread. Read Me!)

User story

As a PRTG user, I want PRTG to detect when Netflow packets contain start/stop time information that is likely wrong, and to display a warning.

Details of user story

I just spent several days trying to work out why my Netflow sensor graphs weren't displaying any data. Zooming out to the 2 and 30 day views showed what appeared to be older data. I concluded it was working intermittently, but later realised new data was being added, just not at the right date/time. I then concluded that there must be some kind of time zone bug.

I eventually stumbled on the suggestion to set the flow timeout to zero to tell the sensor to ignore times when a device is sending wrong time information. Problem immediately fixed. The information is mentioned in the information button next to the Active Flow Timeout setting, but I never clicked on it before because I thought I knew all about it.

I think it should be possible for PRTG to recognise that the data is being assigned erratic/impossible times. It could then display a warning. Eg at the top of the page like it does when the time zone is wrong.

Acceptance criteria

• Criterion #1 Warning pops up at top of sensor page when erratic time information detected, with suggestion to set timeout to zero.
  • Criterion #2 An alternative simpler "fix" would be to display the zero timeout suggestion permanently next to the setting.

Status

Open

improve-prtg netflow prtg-kbtracker

Created on Dec 17, 2021 10:47:24 AM

Replies

Nobody has replied yet

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.