What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

downtime delay befor notification will be send

Votes:

Hi, i think that is a feature request.

Notification Triggers "When sensor state is DOWN for at least 120 seconds, perform..." I would like to have the possibility to replace the "120 seconds" by a variable. Perfect would be the double value of the interval from the individuell sensor. So maybe in the root path stands that: "When sensor state is DOWN for at least '2x Sensor Intervall Scan Time", perform..." So it doesn't matter if one sensor has 60s interval or 5 minutes for scanning his state. So, it is possible for every sensor to recover in his own second interval time, without a notification is send.

thanks! best regards Matthias

delay notification variable

Created on Jan 17, 2022 4:28:37 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

in order to delay the down status scaled by the scanning interval, there is an option (by default inherited from the parent object) that for X (with X up to 5) scan the sensor switches to warning first, instead of down. You find this in the same settings section where the scanning interval is defined.

This does not work with channel limits, these change the sensor status instantly. (Otherwise, with umpteen channels possible per sensor, this could cause a considerable impact on performance.) Also, with channel limits, the trend is usually roughly linear on short time scales, meaning there is a high chance the sensor will stay down anyway, so why not changing the status instantly.

But the aforementioned option does work with scan errors, allowing to reduce noise.

Created on Jan 19, 2022 5:42:25 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, i guess you didn't understand exactly what i mean. I don't care about the status, but the notification, which is send after a permanent delay. That delay I have to set in the notification trigger settings, e.g. 120s. That value should be a parameter, which reads out the scan interval of the sensor and multiplied it with factor two. Based on that, the notification for "down" will be send always after the double of the scan interval time. Regardless of whether the interval is 120s or 5min.

Created on Jan 20, 2022 9:59:01 AM

Votes:

Hello,

as the notification triggers on the status change, delaying the status change to "down" based on scans and hence the scanning interval is the closest thing possible with PRTG.

You can create feature requests this way, with something similar already implemented I am not sure about chances of implementation anytime soon.

Created on Jan 20, 2022 5:55:39 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.