What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Trap receiver alarm

Votes:

Hi, I was successfully able to setup a SNMP trap receiver sensor and receiving traps there, however I´m not able to set the sensor to a failure state when receiving specifig traps.

This is the trap I receiving:

SNMPv2-MIB::snmpTrapOID.0 = IF-MIB::linkDown
RFC1213-MIB::ifIndex = 410048
RFC1213-MIB::ifAdminStatus = up (1)
RFC1213-MIB::ifOperStatus = up (1)

In the sensors settings, failure filter I have this: bindings["linkDown"]

But the sensor is not switching to failure state when the trap arrives. Not sure what I´m doing wrong here.

Thanks Martin

prtg snmp trap

Created on Mar 23, 2022 12:23:13 PM

Last change on Mar 24, 2022 6:17:23 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello Martin,

Thanks for contacting us.

In which of filter settings you add this configuration? Just want to make sure what settings you have in place in each of the sensor settings.

Best regards,

Miguel Aikens

Created on Mar 25, 2022 10:35:50 PM by  Miguel Aikens [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Hi Miguel,

it´s the 'Fehlerfilter'

Created on Mar 28, 2022 9:26:14 AM

Votes:

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Is there any difference if you use the following instead:

msgid[<string>]: any string specifying the message identifier part of the message message[<string>]: any string specifying the message part of the message (substring match)

Best regards,

Miguel Aikens

Created on Mar 28, 2022 8:31:19 PM by  Miguel Aikens [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Both are not accepted. When I enter for example 'message[linkDown]' and click Save, go back in, it is not saved.

Created on Mar 29, 2022 7:21:02 AM

Votes:

Hello,

Is it possible to generate a test notification using this: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/10193-how-do-i-test-an-snmp-trap-receiver-sensor With just the bindings["linkDown"] should do it.

Kind regards,

Miguel Aikens

Created on Mar 29, 2022 10:36:24 PM by  Miguel Aikens [Paessler Technical Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.