What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

moving PRTG - cannot edit GUID on new probe - greyed out

Votes:

hello.

i am going through document

https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/1123-how-do-i-move-a-prtg-probe-from-one-pc-to-another

on step 4 i am unable to edit the guid on new probe. buttons are greyed out. i ran admin tool as administrator and it did not help. any ideas?

thank you.

guid probe prtg

Created on Jun 9, 2022 3:16:05 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi,

Sorry for expressing myself poorly here, you are able to migrate core server installations to a new machine. You simply do not need to change the GUID of the local probe, the configuration of PRTG will include the local probe information and you will be able to see all groups/devices/sensors as before the migration.

This means that you do not need to follow your mentioned article, but this one.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on Jun 15, 2022 5:19:46 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

5 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

The buttons should be available on Remote Probe installations. Is there any chance that you are looking at the admin tool of the core server? If there is a PRTG Core Server tab, you're looking on a core server installation of PRTG.

You can download the probe installer via the Setup > Optional Downloads menu.

Kind regards,

Created on Jun 14, 2022 7:48:09 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

hello.

thanks for the reply. i am installing a new core server to replace an ailing laptop. considering your reply, i am guessing i am not able to migrate a core server to a new core server?

Created on Jun 14, 2022 10:40:53 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi,

Sorry for expressing myself poorly here, you are able to migrate core server installations to a new machine. You simply do not need to change the GUID of the local probe, the configuration of PRTG will include the local probe information and you will be able to see all groups/devices/sensors as before the migration.

This means that you do not need to follow your mentioned article, but this one.

Kind regards,

Created on Jun 15, 2022 5:19:46 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

thanks felix. unfortunately i came in to office this morning to the prtg laptop completely dead. i was nearly done with recreating the site on the new laptop. i put it in place this morning. the only thing i will not have is history.

Created on Jun 15, 2022 11:43:02 AM

Votes:

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that. The historic data is stored in the data directory of PRTG, which by default points to: ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor.

Remember to stop the services before you copy over the data.

Kind regards,

Created on Jun 16, 2022 5:27:18 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.