What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor PRTG Core Server Update Status

Votes:

Hey there,

I'd Like to have a Sensor that throws a warning state if my PRTG Core Server has an Update available. How can I do that? I didnt find any sensor or 3rd Party tool to get the actual Update state of the Core Server.

Regards, Johannes

core-server sensor update

Created on Jul 7, 2022 9:13:49 AM

7 Replies

Votes:

Hello Dear Customer

Thank you for reaching out PRTG support.

You can configure the Threshold Trigger on the Core server which performs a notification if a sensor reaches specific values. Hover over ¨+¨and select Add Threshold Trigger from the menu to add a new threshold trigger, or click edit next to a threshold trigger to change it.

Based on the notification threshold you will be able to configure a notification using the Age of code feature.

The Core Health sensor shows a Warning status by default if PRTG was not updated within the last 90 days. The sensor channel Age of Code has a default upper warning limit of 7776000 seconds, which is 90 days. If the value is exceeded, the limit will apply and the sensor will show the warning limit message Please consider upgrading to the latest version to improve security and stability to remind you to regularly update your PRTG server.

Created on Jul 13, 2022 3:22:53 AM by  Ricardo Sanchez [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Hi Ricardo, thats kind of an inaccurate way to monitor the Update status of the PRTG Core Server. I could also set a 90 Day Reminder in my Calendar, this would be the same... Isn't there a more accurate way to monitor if an Upgrade for the Core Server is available?

Created on Jul 13, 2022 5:59:17 AM

Votes:

Hello dear customer,

Thanks for your reply,

Another option is that you do not require a sensor to receive a notification for updates in PRTG. You can simply define what PRTG does when software updates are available, using the Auto-Update Feauture:

• Automatically download and install: Download and install any new version as soon as PRTG detects that a newer version is available. PRTG checks for a newer version once per day.
  • Automatically download and alert the admin:Download any new version as soon as PRTG detects that a newer version is available. PRTG checks for a newer version once per day. After successful download, PRTG creates a ToDo ticket for the PRTG System Administrator user.
  • Alert the admin only: Do not download updates. Only create a ToDo ticket. You can still manually download updates via the auto-update.

Please check the following article: https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/auto_update#autoupdategroup

Created on Jul 13, 2022 8:32:21 PM by  Ricardo Sanchez [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Hi, Ricardo, I know that there is the possibility to generate an Email if an Update is available. But isn't it possible to just monitor if there is an Upgrade available with a sensor? I would really like to show this information on our PRTG Dashboard.

Created on Jul 14, 2022 1:04:54 PM

Votes:

Hello Dear customer,

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately at the moment we only have the age of the code sensor. I think the new update available opens a ticket in the PRTG ticketing system that is sent only to the administrator, that ticket can be set to send by email.

Created on Jul 15, 2022 1:46:19 PM by  Ricardo Sanchez [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Too bad, a Sensor monitoring available PRTG Updates would be very nice!

Created on Jul 18, 2022 8:39:06 AM

Votes:

Hello Dear customer,

Apologize for any inconvenience this will cause you. We will always try to improve our tools for the new releases. Your feedback is essential for us.

I am inviting you to share your feedback on the Feature requests for new future releases.

For up-to-date information about Feature Requests and our new roadmap, see Our Approach to Handling Feature Requests.

Please see our blog series about the Paessler company culture:

Created on Jul 18, 2022 2:09:44 PM by  Ricardo Sanchez [Paessler Technical Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.