What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor sensors during maintenance/paused

Votes:

While doing maintenance, we have to pause the related sensors so we don't trigger false alerts. When pausing, however, monitoring stops completely.

During maintenance, it's extremely helpful to use PRTG to verify that all sensors are in a green state before completing maintenance. Some of our devices have many dozens of sensors checking various stats. Having to check every one of these manually before resuming the sensor gets quite tedious, and just unpausing the sensor risks something not being functional and triggering a downtime alert / impacting downtime stats.

In an ideal scenario, there's a way to pause a sensor, but have PRTG still monitoring it. That way we can see what the sensors are reporting, but PRTG is not storing the data so it doesn't trigger notifications, or impact downtime, stats, or logging statistics.

Is this something that can be done today? If not, this would be an extremely useful feature.

notifications prtg sensor

Created on Oct 25, 2022 1:52:18 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

basically what you want is to pause the notifications for the time being while you're doing maintenance?

You can pause the maintenance templates under "Setup > Account Settings > Notification Templates" ticking the Templates you need paused or tick the topmost box for all and click on the right on the pause symbol.
Notifications then will be paused until manually resumed (e.g. after the maintenance).

Kind regards,
Johannes Beyerlein, Technical Support Team

Created on Oct 28, 2022 4:51:07 PM by  Johannes Beyerlein [Paessler Support]

Votes:

No, not quite.

I can pause the notifications, sure, but then any downtime is logged on the sensor statistics and reflects poorly on reports. It also impacts metrics overall.

I still want the sensor scanning on it's regular interval so we can see if the service is functional, but any results should not be stored during this maintenance period so it doesn't impact statistics.

I think the best route is to have a "Pause (stop scanning)" and a "Pause (keep scanning)" option, or something similar. That, or simply it could be part of the "one-time maintenance" setting

Created on Oct 28, 2022 5:48:38 PM

Votes:

Hello,

This is currently not possible. If you want to have this implemented as a feature I'd recommend to have this requested as a feature.
To do this please follow our guide on how to submit this here: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/79245-how-can-i-propose-new-features-or-sensors-for-prtg

Kind regards,
Johannes Beyerlein, Technical Support Team

Created on Nov 2, 2022 4:41:02 PM by  Johannes Beyerlein [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.