What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring «Date Modified» of a Folder

Votes:

We explicitly do not monitor individual files because
1) the names change all the time, and
2) the files are fetched from the directory < 1 second and then deleted.
Therefore, monitoring is only possible on the "Date Modified" of the folder.

The setting can be created very easily by
1. create a folder
2. copy a file into the folder and delete it right away
3. set up a sensor and channel that reports when 4 minutes have passed since the last copy and delete of a file.

channel folder monitoring «date-modified»

Created on Nov 4, 2022 10:16:43 AM

Last change on Nov 9, 2022 8:47:47 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,
You could use the Folder Sensor to monitor the file ages of the newest and oldest files within the corresponding folder, however there's no native sensor to monitor the "date modified" of a folder I'm afraid. If you can query this value using powershell for instance, you can however implement your own script as Custom EXE sensor in PRTG.

Created on Nov 9, 2022 8:54:16 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Good day, instead of the individual solution with Powershell we would like a standard solution from Paessler. Is it possible that we share the cost of adding a standard channel for monitoring the "Date modified" ?

Created on Nov 9, 2022 9:42:32 AM

Votes:

I'm sorry that is not possible and I'm afraid to tell you that there are currently no plans to develop this kind of channel. But I understand the need for that. Feel free to propose a new official feature request if you wish a this to be implemented in the future: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/79245.

Created on Nov 10, 2022 7:24:54 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.