What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Add group to Device

Votes:

According to the Add a group dialog I can add groups to probes or groups only:

> = Select a Probe or Group to Add the New Group to =
>
> Select a probe or group from the list.

But, I have a use case where I have to create 51 sensors (which can be divided into groups logically) for one device and I'd like to split them accordingly:

• for said logical reasons,
  • for better overview and
  • to avoid exaggerated scrolling in the sensors' list.

The workaround I use atm is to create sub-groups in a super-group and to create the device multiple times in these sub-groups:

```
+- Super-group
......+- Group A
.........+- Device 1
............+ Sensors 1..17
......+- Group B
.........+- Device 1
............+ Sensors 18..34
......+- Group C
.........+- Device 1
............+ Sensors 35..51
```

This works, but is ugly in contradicting DRY.

PS: Your question editor here lacks basic functions and neither handles HTML Entities nor Unicode characters correctly (e.g.  ). That's tedious.

device feature-request group group-in-device prtg

Created on Feb 24, 2023 4:25:24 PM

Last change on Feb 24, 2023 4:25:24 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello there,

If I understand correctly, I am afraid that you can not add a group in a device.

Created on Mar 6, 2023 6:18:46 AM by  Himanshu Bhatt [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you for your reply, though negative, content-wise and for the time being.

Is this a reasonable feature request, at least? Or has this already been added to your internal plannings? Since I can imagine that I'm not the only one and first ever who wants to do this.

Created on Mar 7, 2023 1:57:25 PM

Votes:

As far as I am aware, PRTG objects hierarchy should be like this and it's not possible to change behavior: https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/object_hierarchy However, before you raise the feature request, please allow me to check whether such a request has already been raised by anyone or not.

Created on Mar 13, 2023 12:42:10 PM by  Himanshu Bhatt [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Re "_before you raise the feature request_" – I already tagged the question with "feature-request" from the very beginning. Isn't it already such then?

Created on Mar 13, 2023 4:21:39 PM

Votes:

Hello,

I am afraid it's not. To raise/propose a feature request please refer to the following KB https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/79245-how-can-i-propose-new-features-or-sensors-for-prtg and perform accordingly. It also explained how do we handle such a request.

Created on Mar 20, 2023 12:13:49 PM by  Himanshu Bhatt [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.