What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG Cluster - Licensing 2023

Votes:

I would like to ask the same question from this thread where we have two conflicting answers from two Paessler employees, and one answer talking to deprecated versions of PRTG Monitor.

https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/64074-prtg-cluster-licensing

It is clear to me with how I've used it that I get 1 failover node with a regular 500 license. Are more than 1 failover nodes not supported any more? The FAQ says you may only have one. May I ask why?

It is becoming more and more common that in many clustered systems require an odd number of votes for quorum depending on the voting algorithm used. Application clusters are getting more nodes and two nodes may cause split brain for those applications and if PRTG is bundled as a package on those clusters, you need to perform setup multiple times instead of just leveraging the existing clustering built in...

cluster failover license licensing

Created on Mar 7, 2023 8:36:47 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello there,

In regard to this question "It is clear to me with how I've used it that I get 1 failover node with a regular 500 license. Are more than 1 failover nodes not supported any more? The FAQ says you may only have one. May I ask why?

If you are using a PRTG 100, 500, 1000, 2500, 5000 and Unlimited license you can use 1 Master plus 1 for failover node in cluster within the same license and if you would like to use 1 master node and 3 failover nodes, you have to use 2 separate license keys in the same version.

You may like to delve into this detailed Knowledge Base article for more details. See link below:
https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/6403-what-is-the-clustering-feature-in-prtg

However, the PRTG Enterprise Monitor is made for the monitoring demands of large IT environments. The licensing model "PRTG Enterprise Monitor" allows more Core Server.

Kind regards,

Jeremiah Katatumba - Technical Team Support

Created on Mar 13, 2023 6:38:54 AM by  Jeremiah Katatumba

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.