What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Manage PRTG on Scale with Dynamic Group Configuration

Votes:

Want this feature implemented, too? Please upvote by clicking Thumbs up!

(Posts as a reply won't be published in this feature request thread. Read Me!)

User story

As a PRTG user, I want to have the ability to make custom Dynamic groups that I can apply specific rules for sensors' configuration on it

Details of user story

One of the big challenges I face when using PRTG in large enterprises or multiple installations is the ability to create -one time configuration- on sensors regardless of how many sensors I add or delete. missing this feature makes it extremely difficult to keep track of current configuration for all PRTG sensors in one view.

To explain this more, below is an example: I want to be able to run unrestricted discovery on the device (without device template) and still maintain custom configuration on the needed types of sensors for example, while running the discovery, I want all memory sensors to have automatically threshold limit on channels to make sensor in warning or critical after it is being discovered, or having specific scanning interval, without the need to manually do that after each discovery

this will make managing sensors configuration easy to visualize, and manipulate from high level regardless how big the installation is,

so I would make a specific group that contain only specific type of sensors (or force eliminate specific sensors on some devices) and apply on it the custom threshold for channels, and each new sensor that falls under this category will take this channels configuration (e.g. available memory warning 10% and critical 5%) - similar to the idea of notification trigger through library

this would be helpful as some sensors have are not constant in their channels and when doing bulk configuration on channel limit it changes the wrong channel on the sensor due to this - or we need to take more time to manually select the sensors of same channels and apply the bulk configuration

also that many sensors in PRTG doesn't have any default threshold so this will force sensors to have thresholds, and by that we will not miss alerting on added sensors without threshold

Acceptance criteria

• Criterion #1: being able to maintain sensors' thresholds scanning interval, alert trigger, etc. through groups
  • Criterion #2: being able to implement with ease without having the issue of conflicting channels numbers of same sensor type
  • Criterion #3: clear listing of the included and forced excluded sensor from each group
  • Criterion #4: being able to still exclude some sensors and apply custom config when needed
  • Criterion #5: being able to segregate configuration of multiple groups - e.g. having multiple groups of devices containing same type of sensors, but group1 take config, and group2 take another config depending on the need
  • Criterion #6: the option to have members of group as manual selection or dynamic

Status

Open

add-feature configuration improve-prtg manage-on-scale prtg-kbtracker

Created on Apr 3, 2023 3:31:03 AM

Replies

Nobody has replied yet

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.