What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I access the AJAX web interface of PRTG 8 with Internet Explorer 8?

Votes:

Although I'm loading the AJAX web interface of PRTG 8 with IE8, the login option AJAX GUI (All features) is shown in grey color and after login I get a message that my browser is not supported.

—or—

When I click on tabs within the web interface, they do not open, but nothing happens on click.

ie8 internet-explorer prtg8 web-interface

Created on Sep 30, 2010 8:50:28 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Oct 12, 2010 9:38:59 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Important notice: This article applies to the deprecated version 8.x of PRTG Network Monitor.

In order to access the web interface of PRTG 12 or later with Internet Explorer, please use IE 9 or later. For more information, see the article How can I access the AJAX web interface of PRTG with Internet Explorer 9 or IE10?

Disable IE8's Compatibility Mode and Set Security Level

Due to the complex scripting capabilities of the PRTG 8 web interface, we recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox for best performance. If you, however, use Internet Explorer 8, it is important that the following facts are true:

• IE 8 does not run the web interface in Compatibility Mode (as this mode would cause the IE8 to act as an IE7 which is no longer supported).
  • The security level is set to default level Medium-high or lower to allow necessary scripting.

In the following necessary settings are described step by step. This is one of several possibilities.

Step 1

To disable Compatibility View for the website that is currently viewed, select Tools from IE8's menu and make sure there is no check mark in front of the Compatibility View entry. If this entry is shown in grey color, please see step 2 below.

Zoom image

Step 2

Select Tools | Compatibility View Settings from IE8's menu. Make sure that no compatibility views are enabled for intranet sites or all websites and confirm with OK.

Step 3

Select Tools | Internet Options from IE8's menu. Select the Security tab. For the Internet zone, set the security level to Default level Medium-high or lower and confirm with OK.

Note: If you do not want to change the security level for the Internet zone, add your PRTG's IP address and/or DNS name to the Trusted sites and change this zone's security settings accordingly.

See Also

Created on Sep 30, 2010 9:22:08 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Jul 8, 2013 3:07:25 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.