What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP Cisco System Health Error

Votes:

Dear Support Team

I have defined a "System Health Temperature" sensor on a Cisco device which works fine most of the time. 

Sometimes it has been stopped polling data and returns error without any network or device outage or some other issues saying:

"No Such Instance (SNMP Errors #223)" 

In case, I pause the sensor and then resume OR create another sensor (as System Health Temperature), it  Continues polling data without error.  

I appreciate if you kindly investigate this issue and inform me the result.  Best Regards.

cisco-system-health error snmp

Created on Aug 19, 2018 12:40:29 PM

Last change on Aug 20, 2018 10:40:32 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

37 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Hossein,
thank you for your inquiry.

The error you're seeing ("No Such Instance (SNMP Errors #223)") indicates that data that was being queried/polled by the sensor with a specific SNMP index is no longer available.

This may have multiple reasons:

• Hardware change on the device (in this case, temperature-sensing hardware)
  • Re-configuration (modules that have temperature sensing enabled/disabled)
  • Restart of the devices (as it may cause the indexes to change)
  • Bug in the Software/Firmware of the device.

The first steps in troubleshooting this should be to make sure that PRTG is up-to-date to rule out any issues in earlier PRTG Versions. If the issue persists, double-check what software version (iOS) runs on the monitored device. If it is not the latest please update the device's firmware as we've had cases in the past were older/bugous firmware lead to inexplicable index changes.

Should the issue persist after checking the above, we'd need to have a closer look at the data to confirm what is changing index.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Aug 20, 2018 10:46:27 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hello dear luciano,

Thank you for your reply.

I can be sure that the device OID and Index does not change, because it keeps graphing in other monitoring tool !

Also as i said before, if i just pause and resume the sensor, it starts graphing.

Or

If I add another sensor at that time, its OK! and starts graphing fine!

Thanks again

Best Regards

Created on Aug 20, 2018 1:36:34 PM

Last change on Aug 21, 2018 7:06:05 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hello Hossein,
thank you for your reply.

The other tool might be capable of recognizing/updating indexes as they change. The Cisco System Health sensor is currently not capable of doing this.

If pausing and resuming the sensor solves the issue, that's indeed odd. I kindly ask you to follow-up with us via a support-ticket and reference case PAE1079087 - This way we can take a closer look at the described issue.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Aug 21, 2018 7:08:34 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Thanks again.. And, is there any manually way to edit the index in these sensors (Cisco System Health) ?! Best Regards

Created on Dec 4, 2018 11:03:39 AM

Votes:

Unfortunately not. Is this still happening on the regular (since this thread is six months old already)?

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Dec 4, 2018 2:27:48 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

You mention "I can be sure that the device OID and Index does not change, because it keeps graphing in other monitoring tool !".

Can it be that you use the same SNMP community on both PRTG and the other tool?

This might cause an issue - you should have a dedicated for each monitoring system - you might wanna add a new community and avoid that it is blocked / in use by anything else.

Regards

Florian Rossmark

www.it-admins.com

Created on Dec 4, 2018 4:13:52 PM

Votes:

Yes it's still happening on device changes. But question is here that if snmp system health sensors does not support index changes, why some of them like "CPU", "memory" and "temperature" face problem, but the others like "fan" and "power supply" not ?! Best Regards

Created on Dec 9, 2018 2:03:49 PM

Votes:

@hossein Did you ever check if there's a firmware update available for that appliance?

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Dec 10, 2018 7:25:46 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Salutations!

We are having similar issues with multiple cisco 9300 devices. There is an intermittent issue with the system health status readings(voltage, other, currents, temperature). The health sensors for these devices show alarm status at random times due to the error PE269 query failure on some of the transceivers. The issue is not always present, and typically clears up fast, but it happens about once every 20 minutes. All other sensors are working on these devices. It happens on four different cisco 9300's we have. We have tried re-adding the sensors, adjusting them to single-get snmp. The issue still persists. Please help!

Example of the error, this is what they show on each of the sensors in alarm status, but the number before the parentheses varies from sensor to sensor.

Queries for the following channel IDs returned no data: 26 (code: PE269)

Created on Oct 22, 2019 2:37:42 PM

Votes:

This should actually be resolved in PRTG 19.4.52 - what version are you currently running?

Created on Oct 23, 2019 11:41:02 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

We upgrade to 19.4.52.3515+, and the problem is still occuring

Created on Oct 25, 2019 9:01:52 PM

Votes:

Could you please try to recreate the Sensor in question to see if that one holds up better? Keep the old one paused for the time being. Thanks!

Created on Oct 29, 2019 11:09:17 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

The re-added sensor did the same thing:

MAPTEST -System Health Currents

0 uA (Current Ethernet1/13 Lane 1 Transceiver Bias Current Sensor) is below the error limit of 2,600 uA in Current Ethernet1/13 Lane 1 Transceiver Bias Current Sensor (Queries for the following channel IDs returned no data: 27 (code: PE269))

Channel 	ID 	Last Value 	Minimum 	Maximum 	Settings
Current Ethernet1/1 Lane 1 Transceiver Bias Current Sensor	38	8,220 uA	8,220 uA	8,226 uA	
Current Ethernet1/10 Lane 1 Transceiver Bias Current Sensor	30	8,366 uA	8,366 uA	8,366 uA	
Current Ethernet1/11 Lane 1 Transceiver Bias Current Sensor	29	4,740 uA	4,738 uA	4,740 uA	
Current Ethernet1/12 Lane 1 Transceiver Bias Current Sensor	28	5,800 uA	5,800 uA	5,804 uA	
Current Ethernet1/13 Lane 1 Transceiver Bias Current Sensor	27	0 uA	0 uA	5,186 uA	
Current Ethernet1/14 Lane 1 Transceiver Bias Current Sensor	26	5,800 uA	5,800 uA	5,800 uA	

Created on Oct 29, 2019 4:10:33 PM

Votes:

I'll check back with development regarding the matter and be in touch once I hear back from them :)

Created on Oct 31, 2019 11:34:17 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'd just like to jump in here and say that we have also had ongoing issues with the Cisco Health Sensor as well. Mainly temperature reporting the same "The queries for the following channel IDs returned no data: xx (code: PE269)"

It has been observed on Cisco 9300, 3850, N9k, and N3k.

This issue has been ongoing for at least 6 months and is still present in 19.4.54.1506+

Created on Dec 17, 2019 4:22:42 PM

Votes:

Yup, we're aware of it. Unfortunately, the latest fixes introduced haven't resolved the issue and we're still looking for a proper fix. Sorry for this to take so long! :(

Created on Dec 18, 2019 12:51:43 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Just upgraded to 20.2.58.1629+ and I'm still having this problem (code PE269) with my Cisco 3850 switches since upgrading PRTG to whatever was the current stable release version all the way back on 4/15/2019.

Created on May 20, 2020 2:49:37 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

The error message simply tells, that a metric was available while creating the sensor, but wasn't returned any longer. This means, that the query could get sent out properly, but the device did not reply.

I'd like to dig a bit deeper here, to see if or what the target Cisco device returns in case of an error.

Install WireShark create a capture filter (not display filter) and forward the pcap file after you tried to add the sensor at least twice. The filter can look like this: host 172.30.254.73 and udp port 161 Replace the IP address by the IP of the Cisco device.

Please send the results to [email protected] and add the case number PAE2006553 in the subject.

Kind regards

Felix Wiesneth - Team Tech Support

Created on May 21, 2020 9:23:45 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

we've had the same problem for a long time on a Cisco Nexus 3000 that we've never been able to solve. On the same network we have other Cisco Catalyst and Nexus switches and on all the others the same thing does not happen. Several times we have deleted the sensors, tried to modify the management interface but nothing... Please, solve this problem because it's really annoying... Thanks for your support.

Kind regards,

Paolo Caparrelli GOLINE SA

Created on Jun 5, 2020 3:50:37 PM

Votes:

Hi there,
You mentioned: "The other tool might be capable of recognizing/updating indexes as they change. The Cisco System Health sensor is currently not capable of doing this."
I want to know is this capability present in latest version?
Best Regards

Created on Jul 8, 2020 6:18:57 AM

Votes:

Hi Hossein,

I'm afraid there is anything new for this topic. Please refer to my answer here. If you can add some more information here, please send the results to [email protected] and add the case number PAE2012789 in the subject.

Kind regards

Created on Jul 8, 2020 8:13:08 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

any progress towards a resolution for this?

Created on Sep 2, 2020 6:16:57 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

I'm afraid there is anything new for this topic. Please refer to my answer here. If you can add some more information here, please send the results to [email protected] and add the case number PAE2019386 in the subject.

Kind regards

Created on Sep 2, 2020 7:57:20 PM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

We still have multiple devices that are affected by this issue. Can you have a developer look into fixing this on the next version update?

Created on Jan 28, 2021 3:25:12 PM

Votes:

Felix, The link provided with your answer doesn't fix the issue. We still have the flapping sensor that reports PE269 query intermittently on many of the health sensors. We have provided log files and packet captures already. We can provide new ones if necessary. We have new devices recently added that are generating this problem still. The only work around we have is to pause the sensors. When pausing the sensors we do not get health information from the equipment involved. Let us know what logs or captures you need updated.

Created on Jan 28, 2021 3:35:07 PM

Votes:

Hi Ryan,

we are still working on this issue. Please apology for this long time.

Kind regards

Created on Jan 29, 2021 8:56:18 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Any update on the fix?

Created on Apr 12, 2021 4:08:48 AM

Votes:

Hello there,

I'm afraid there is no update to this. We are still working on this issue. When there is a fix, you will find it in our release notes.

Kind regards

Created on Apr 12, 2021 7:31:13 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I would like to chime in that we are also continuing to receive this issue on our Catalyst 9300 switches.

Created on Apr 1, 2022 3:05:36 PM

Votes:

Hi Paessler

Are there any updates on this issue? This gives us false alarms and extra work adding and removing sensors.

Created on Oct 17, 2022 8:34:54 AM

Votes:

Hi Jon,

I'm afraid there is no update yet.

Kind regards

Felix Wiesneth - Team Technical Support

Created on Oct 17, 2022 10:01:10 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Paessler,

Any updates on this one?

Regards,

Seif

Created on Nov 30, 2022 4:52:13 PM

Votes:

Hi Seif,

I'm afraid that there is no update yet. --- Kind regards

Created on Dec 1, 2022 8:12:16 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Seif,

Created on Dec 1, 2022 8:12:18 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Seif,

Created on Dec 1, 2022 8:12:18 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Seif,

Created on Dec 1, 2022 8:12:19 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Seif,

I'm afraid that there is no update yet.

Kind regards

Created on Dec 1, 2022 8:12:20 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 1, 2022 8:12:29 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.