New Question

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use.
Easy to manage.

200.000 administrators have chosen PRTG to monitor their network. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free PRTG
Download >>

What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general. You are invited to get involved by asking and answering questions!

Learn more

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP Cisco System Health Error

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Dear Support Team

I have defined a "System Health Temperature" sensor on a Cisco device which works fine most of the time. 

Sometimes it has been stopped polling data and returns error without any network or device outage or some other issues saying:

"No Such Instance (SNMP Errors #223)" 

In case, I pause the sensor and then resume OR create another sensor (as System Health Temperature), it  Continues polling data without error.  

I appreciate if you kindly investigate this issue and inform me the result.  Best Regards.

cisco-system-health error snmp

Created on Aug 19, 2018 12:40:29 PM by  Hossein (0) 2

Last change on Aug 20, 2018 10:40:32 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

8 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hello Hossein,
thank you for your inquiry.

The error you're seeing ("No Such Instance (SNMP Errors #223)") indicates that data that was being queried/polled by the sensor with a specific SNMP index is no longer available.

This may have multiple reasons:

• Hardware change on the device (in this case, temperature-sensing hardware)
  • Re-configuration (modules that have temperature sensing enabled/disabled)
  • Restart of the devices (as it may cause the indexes to change)
  • Bug in the Software/Firmware of the device.

The first steps in troubleshooting this should be to make sure that PRTG is up-to-date to rule out any issues in earlier PRTG Versions. If the issue persists, double-check what software version (iOS) runs on the monitored device. If it is not the latest please update the device's firmware as we've had cases in the past were older/bugous firmware lead to inexplicable index changes.

Should the issue persist after checking the above, we'd need to have a closer look at the data to confirm what is changing index.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Aug 20, 2018 10:46:27 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hello dear luciano,

Thank you for your reply.

I can be sure that the device OID and Index does not change, because it keeps graphing in other monitoring tool !

Also as i said before, if i just pause and resume the sensor, it starts graphing.

Or

If I add another sensor at that time, its OK! and starts graphing fine!

Thanks again

Best Regards

Created on Aug 20, 2018 1:36:34 PM by  Hossein (0) 2

Last change on Aug 21, 2018 7:06:05 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hello Hossein,
thank you for your reply.

The other tool might be capable of recognizing/updating indexes as they change. The Cisco System Health sensor is currently not capable of doing this.

If pausing and resuming the sensor solves the issue, that's indeed odd. I kindly ask you to follow-up with us via a support-ticket and reference case PAE1079087 - This way we can take a closer look at the described issue.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Aug 21, 2018 7:08:34 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Thanks again.. And, is there any manually way to edit the index in these sensors (Cisco System Health) ?! Best Regards

Created on Dec 4, 2018 11:03:39 AM by  Hossein (0) 2

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Unfortunately not. Is this still happening on the regular (since this thread is six months old already)?

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Dec 4, 2018 2:27:48 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

You mention "I can be sure that the device OID and Index does not change, because it keeps graphing in other monitoring tool !".

Can it be that you use the same SNMP community on both PRTG and the other tool?

This might cause an issue - you should have a dedicated for each monitoring system - you might wanna add a new community and avoid that it is blocked / in use by anything else.

Regards

Florian Rossmark

www.it-admins.com

Created on Dec 4, 2018 4:13:52 PM by  Florian Rossmark (3,674) 2 2

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Yes it's still happening on device changes. But question is here that if snmp system health sensors does not support index changes, why some of them like "CPU", "memory" and "temperature" face problem, but the others like "fan" and "power supply" not ?! Best Regards

Created on Dec 9, 2018 2:03:49 PM by  Hossein (0) 2

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

@hossein Did you ever check if there's a firmware update available for that appliance?

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Dec 10, 2018 7:25:46 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Please log in or register to enter your reply.

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.