What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Percent Utilization Threshold for all switch ports

Votes:

Hi guys.

I've a simple scenario: On my Cisco Switch, I need to configure thresholds for all physical ports, which notify me when one of them exceeds 90% of the bandwidth utilization. Whatever kind of port 10/100/1000.

Is this possible?

thnx

bandwidth notifications percentage trigger

Created on Dec 16, 2020 12:30:22 PM

6 Replies

Votes:

Hello Toni,

Thank you for your message.

You indeed have the possibility to configure the channels of a traffic sensor to calculate the value in percent of a maximum, and then apply limits on it.

To do so, simply go in the channels settings and then under Data, select the option Display in percent of maximum before configuring the maximum bandwidth (set by default to the interface speed).

Finally, when enabling the limits you can define now them in percentage.

If you have further questions, let us know.
Regards.

Created on Dec 17, 2020 8:54:25 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 17, 2020 8:54:34 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Florian,

Your explanation was pretty valuable to me! Never used before! Appreciate it.

But there is something wish I had a little different. Would like to keep the default values inside the graph area and at the same time to have a way to trigger a threshold based on percent utilization on a port. Searching at Notification Tab, I failed to find any trigger based on percent utilization!

For example: When Traffic In channel is Above 90% for at least 300s perform notification

I'm afraid, I'll have to add two identical graphs, for the same sensor, first with % values, second for default values. Don't know if I am clear or not.

Maybe I'm looking for something impossible! :)

Regards

Created on Dec 17, 2020 4:26:22 PM

Votes:

Hello Toni,

I'm afraid that it's not possible to keep the traffic speed in the graphs when using the option Display in percent of maximum, as well as configure a threshold trigger based on the pourcentage as well.

However, you have the possibility to define limits in the channels settings as pourcentage instead of bandwidth, and then configure state triggers accordingly.

Regards.

Created on Dec 18, 2020 10:20:20 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Florian.

I'm clear. Hope in the future, Paessler will consider this. Or at least have the ability to add channels in a sensor. Maybe it could be a solution on my case.

Thanks for the time and your support. Have e nice day.

Regards

Created on Dec 18, 2020 1:49:47 PM

Votes:

Thank you for your feedback.

I strongly invite you to check if there is a feature request already exiting for your need or open one by following this KB article: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/79245-how-can-i-propose-new-features-or-sensors-for-prtg

Then, if the feature is expected and asked by many users, our development team will discuss about it more in details. Have a merry Christmas.

Created on Dec 18, 2020 3:05:15 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 18, 2020 3:05:46 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Florian,

There is a topic for a feature "add/remove channel in a sensor". Interesting! Voted there! https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/83577-open-allow-adding-removing-channels-to-existing-sensors

I'll check for any topic regarding my concern, if it exists. If not, I'll open one.

Thanks again and have a marry Christmas to you & your team.

Created on Dec 19, 2020 5:07:17 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.