What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

can't change EventLog api channel settings returning value

Votes:

When I look at the channel of the EventLog API sensor I see two values returned: Volume and Speed - on the same channel. For some reason, the value that is used to disaply and to notfiy is the Speed value (and NOT the Volume value) - which doesn't correspond correctly to Event Log changes and thus doesn't trigger the change notification. I'm trying to find a way to edit the channel setting so the primary value returned would be the Volume. Is it possible or is it something that has been overlooked by design?

api eventlog prtg

Created on Jan 6, 2011 9:26:14 AM

15 Replies

Votes:

Afraid that isn't possible, seeing as the volume value would be dependant on the scanning interval. Each time a "scan now" is triggered, a probe is restarted, a sensor is edited, etc. would return abnormal values. This would not be an issue in the tables per se, but it would certainly cause very strange graphs.

Created on Jan 13, 2011 10:54:03 AM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

I can't seem to understand. I'd like to send a notification each time there's an Application Log error. The Volume counter, counts those errors - that's how I see it for the time being. The Speed counter, can't see how it can help me with notifications. You note that the Volume value would return abnormal values, while now it acts fine.

How else would I use On Change notifications for the Event Log sensor if the value that changes is Speed? The whole point in Event Log notification is notifying when an actual Error is logged. Forgive me if I miss something here, I'd like to know of an alternative way to notify about Errors being logged.

Created on Jan 17, 2011 7:16:47 AM

Votes:

This seems to be a bug. We will look into it.

Created on Mar 22, 2011 2:03:59 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Has there been any update on this issue ?

I want to trigger a notification if there is an eventlog entry missing since the last sensor update, thus i think this might be the same topic. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Created on May 19, 2011 3:05:26 PM

Votes:

Dear Thorsten, for that, please check out the following article: How can I check the Windows Event log using extended filter options?.

best regards

Created on May 19, 2011 3:18:32 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This is still a problem. I would like to switch the primary channel from #/s to volume. Why isn't the volume not chosable in the settings?!

Created on Apr 27, 2022 9:57:04 AM

Votes:

Hello,

volume itself would be undefined without knowing the time span for that volume. This would it make especially confusing if the sensor scanning interval gets changed.

Also with data averaging for reports, a volume channel would be difficult to process. Bandwidth on the other hand allows all such processing and works with changes in the scanning (or average) interval.

Created on May 2, 2022 9:01:16 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on May 2, 2022 9:04:48 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I see, so how can I change the time span from sec to 24h as example?

Created on May 3, 2022 2:32:06 PM

Votes:

Hello NewCom,

is the question about the sensor scanning interval? That setting would be available on the "Settings" tab of the sensor. One can also define custom scanning intervals, which subsequently appear as a choice in the sensor settings.

Created on May 3, 2022 4:31:01 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

No it's not about the scanning intervals. I want to change the graphing of the scanned values. So it shows as exmaple #/24h not #/s.

Created on May 5, 2022 2:12:18 PM

Votes:

Hello,

only certain units can be configured, like traffic (kb/MB per s/h/d), via the channel configuration in the device's settings tab. Event bandwidth always uses the base unit, seconds.

Created on May 9, 2022 5:45:19 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Via sensor setting I can only set #/s or downtime. Via the channel setting I can only choose how it is shown in the graph (by maximum or by #/s).

Created on May 17, 2022 1:10:40 PM

Votes:

Hello,

that is correct. Some units can be configured, like traffic. Event bandwidth cannot have its unit changed.

Created on May 18, 2022 12:20:05 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I think u don't understand. We want just show volume in the graph, why isn't there an option to show it? The sensor is tracking two values volume and #/s, but in the graph I can only show #/sec, that doesn't make sense at all.

Created on May 25, 2022 8:13:20 AM

Votes:

Hello,

Regarding the Event Log sensor, I'm afraid that the channel only monitors the speed here, despite that the volume is visible. Therefore, PRTG can only display the values per second in the graphs because those data are stored.

To get these data in the graphs too, I invite you to open an official feature request for it, by following our guideline here: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/79245-how-can-i-propose-new-features-or-sensors-for-prtg.

Regards.

Created on Jun 6, 2022 7:02:12 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.