What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

MIB problems: PRTG hangs when adding SNMP library sensor

Votes:

I have successfully imported a netapp filer mib (ontap 7.3.3) using the tool into network monitor v8.

But when I go to the device, add sensor, and select the library, the box comes up, showing 'working..' and does not go any further (I waited 2 hours).

Any ideas?

mib netapp prtg8

Created on Feb 17, 2011 10:22:51 AM

Last change on Apr 19, 2011 11:34:57 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 16 or later

Split MIB File for Use with the SNMP Library Sensor

As often stated some MIB files may contain too much information. Therefore, you need to split the MIB file or select only parts of it that you need for monitoring.

For example, the fg ip sess entry within the Fortinet-Fortigate-MIB.mib file has a huge amount of sub-items, it refers to the current IPv4 and IPv6 sessions on the device. (There are thousands of entries, a scan will eventually timeout.)

Using the Paessler MIB Importer tool, it is possible to utilize/save only parts of the imported MIB:

1. Load your MIB into the Paessler MIB Importer.
  2. Under File select Enable partial selection.
  3. You will see a checkbox in front of each node of the MIB file.
  4. Select the nodes that contain the OIDs you want to monitor. Regarding the Fortinet-Fortigate-MIB.mib file exclude at least fg ip sess.
  5. Proceed to File | Save Partial Selection as.
  6. Save the partial oidlib file and add it to PRTG.

An MIB File in the Paessler MIB Importer (Example Screenshot with Other MIB file Loaded) Partial Selection in the Paessler MIB Importer

Click for Full Size Image

Using partial selection it is possible to remove the 1.3.6.1.4.1.12356.101.11.2 nodes. That will make the scan that is required to add the library sensors within PRTG very fast.

If you encounter any issues with the procedure above, please feel free to contact our support team.

This Knowledge Base article refers specifically to the FortiGate MIB file but this is valid for any MIB file where you may encounter issues or slow performance when adding an SNMP Library Sensor.

If you are interested in more FortiGate firewall sensors, see Additional sensors for FortiGate firewalls.

More

Created on May 28, 2015 11:53:07 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Sep 19, 2019 6:23:15 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

11 Replies

Votes:

If the file includes a large number of counters this can lead to issues. If there is a limited set of counters you would like to monitor what you can do is load the OIDLIB file into our MIB Importer, then turn on the "Enable Partial Selection" option from under the "File" menu, and then select the desired counters and save the same as a new OID library.

Created on Feb 17, 2011 12:22:33 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

That sounds ideal, omly I can't seem to the program to save file as a partial one, whatever I do it exports the whole MIB file. Can you give me some idiot instructions?

Created on Feb 17, 2011 2:31:39 PM

Votes:

The OIDLIB file probably contains too much information.

In the MIB Importer tool, once you have loaded the OIDLIB file, head to "File -> Enable partial selection". You should now have checkboxes available in front of each entry. Once you have selected the necessary objects you can use the "Save As..." button at the bottom of the MIB Importer to store an OIDLIB file that only contains the selected objects.

Created on Feb 17, 2011 3:39:00 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Last change on Apr 19, 2011 11:35:39 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Thats great - thanks.

Created on Feb 17, 2011 3:46:02 PM

Votes:

I have the same problem but reducing the amount of information using the partial selection did not solve my issue. I'm trying to create sensors for my Fortinet-Firewalls based on the MIB provided by Fortinet and it hangs. I also installed a different PRTG-Server to make sure it is not related to the productive system but it is still the same issue. All ideas are welcome.

Created on May 7, 2015 6:28:22 AM

Votes:

Have you tried using the SNMP Tester with the OID Library that you created to see how long it takes the device to answer?

Created on May 8, 2015 12:52:17 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Last change on May 8, 2015 12:52:34 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I've used SNMP Tester and there are no timeouts, the device is answering quickly.

Created on May 13, 2015 7:51:25 AM

Votes:

Please send the output of the tester along with the MIB and OID Library that you imported to us at [email protected] so that we can review what the issue may be.

Created on May 13, 2015 4:05:50 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 16 or later

Split MIB File for Use with the SNMP Library Sensor

As often stated some MIB files may contain too much information. Therefore, you need to split the MIB file or select only parts of it that you need for monitoring.

For example, the fg ip sess entry within the Fortinet-Fortigate-MIB.mib file has a huge amount of sub-items, it refers to the current IPv4 and IPv6 sessions on the device. (There are thousands of entries, a scan will eventually timeout.)

Using the Paessler MIB Importer tool, it is possible to utilize/save only parts of the imported MIB:

1. Load your MIB into the Paessler MIB Importer.
  2. Under File select Enable partial selection.
  3. You will see a checkbox in front of each node of the MIB file.
  4. Select the nodes that contain the OIDs you want to monitor. Regarding the Fortinet-Fortigate-MIB.mib file exclude at least fg ip sess.
  5. Proceed to File | Save Partial Selection as.
  6. Save the partial oidlib file and add it to PRTG.

An MIB File in the Paessler MIB Importer (Example Screenshot with Other MIB file Loaded) Partial Selection in the Paessler MIB Importer

Click for Full Size Image

Using partial selection it is possible to remove the 1.3.6.1.4.1.12356.101.11.2 nodes. That will make the scan that is required to add the library sensors within PRTG very fast.

If you encounter any issues with the procedure above, please feel free to contact our support team.

This Knowledge Base article refers specifically to the FortiGate MIB file but this is valid for any MIB file where you may encounter issues or slow performance when adding an SNMP Library Sensor.

If you are interested in more FortiGate firewall sensors, see Additional sensors for FortiGate firewalls.

More

Created on May 28, 2015 11:53:07 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Sep 19, 2019 6:23:15 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This worked with a Fortinet Fortigate firewall. Adding the SNMP sensor with all of the OIDs for the Fortigate MIB caused the sensor creation to take a long time and not complete. Removing the OIDs for the "fg ip sess" and "fg ip6sess" and other elements I didn't want to monitor allowed the sensor creation to complete quickly. Thanks!

Created on Apr 4, 2017 8:33:35 PM

Votes:

Hello hteik,
thank you for your feedback.

Since these fortigate devices are quite popular, we've put together a device template that will automatically deploy a couple of sensors on any Fortigate Firewall. The template isn't public yet but should be released in a couple of days under the following URL/Link:

Cheers!
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Apr 5, 2017 7:07:49 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.