What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Changing settings for Default Sensor

Votes:

I'd like to change the default warning and error levels for our Diskspace monitor (from 25 and 10 to 10 and 5). Is there a configuration file to modify to change the default behavior of the sensor, or a way to create a new sensor with those settings?

sensors template wmi

Created on Dec 31, 2013 12:54:06 PM

33 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

you could select all sensors of the same type by by going to

Sensors -> By Type -> WMI Free Diskspace

and then use multi edit to change the limits for all sensors at once

see:

https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/multi_edit_lists.htm

Created on Dec 31, 2013 3:24:28 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you - multiedit is a great solution for the sensors that we already have deployed. Is there anyway to change the default behavior for NEW sensors that are created?

Ideally I'd like to set up a Default Disk Space sensor for most of our servers, and a few other DiskSpace sensor types for more specialized server types (Exchange Servers, Database Servers, etc).

Created on Dec 31, 2013 3:45:12 PM

Votes:

to change the default values for new sensors is not possible at the moment, sorry.

But this is already on our wish list.

Created on Dec 31, 2013 3:47:41 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'm also really keen to see the ability to change the default values for new sensors. Is there any update on when this feature is likely to be available?

Created on Oct 4, 2014 2:16:12 PM

Votes:

David, this is currently not scheduled for an exact future version, but I did count your vote. Thank you for the feedback!

Created on Oct 6, 2014 12:12:40 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Cont me in as well for this feature! I am currently testing this solution and find it very helpful when you first do the initial install and setup of a network monitoring solution to be able to change some of the factory defaults on specific sensors to match our needs. So down the road I don't have to try and remember all the sensors I need to tweak and what their settings need to be to match what I have already changed in my environment as the default for the current servers when I am adding a new device and trying to make sure it matches up.

Adding a feature like this is just one less road block in the way making it easier for admins to add more devices into PRTG and hence we end up using more sensors in the process, AKA more money for Paessler so a win all around for everyone!

I have used other solutions in the past that do little to help automate the process of setting up new devices and in turn I find myself liking the system in the beginning but hating it later on. Dealing with adding a new device feels like I have to relearn the system all over again just to get the new device to report like the rest of the current devices.

That is one of many reasons I am currently leaving our current solution and am here looking at your product. BTW it has so far been night and day compared to your competitors how easy/simple it is to setup and work with PRTG as it is one of those rare software solutions you can install very quickly and take one look at it and understand 95% within the first 10 minuets. You guys have so far impressed me with what looks to be an great product.

Created on Oct 9, 2014 1:45:37 PM

Votes:

Thank you very much for the kind words and your feedback. I did count your vote. Let me suggest to look into Device Templates though. They help to setup new devices & sensors according to your requirements.

Created on Oct 13, 2014 12:01:29 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I vote also for this feature.

Created on Oct 20, 2014 6:33:24 AM

Votes:

I vote also for this feature... or is it already implemented? :) i do not find it. Thanks

Created on Apr 28, 2015 2:13:29 PM

Votes:

I've just posted the same question, I'm stunned that such basic feature isn't there yet. Whats the road map of this?

Created on Jun 3, 2015 11:43:23 AM

Votes:

As mentioned, you can use Device Templates. They help to setup new devices & sensors according to your requirements. Or quickly change the limits on all existing sensors using the Multi-Edit.

Created on Jun 3, 2015 12:10:19 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

If i understand correctly, creating a device templates stamps the sensors & settings to a new device when you explicit choose this template, right? It's not that the template is automaticly choosen on an auto-discovered device?

So to my knowlegde this will not work on an auto-discovery enabled group, set to "Automatic device identification (standard, recommended)". We have groups with different device types in it, it's set to scan per IP subnet, and auto-add new devices every day. As there are different types of devices in this group, you cant set an specific template. But we want auto-baselining of sensor settings.

So therefore we would like to set the defaults of sensors, and not by template.

Created on Jun 15, 2015 6:19:31 PM

Votes:

The standard Auto-Discovery uses templates as well. So you could either edit those templates (their xml-files), or simply and quickly just select the templates that you want to have applied, before starting an Auto-Discovery.

Created on Jun 16, 2015 7:15:27 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Paessler

It would be a really nice feature, to be able to change the default thresholds for a sensor type, before it has been deployed. I would vote for this suggestion, but do not yet have the 'Reputation'? to do so.

At the same time, it would be a really useful thing, if you made a list of the default thresholds publicly available here, somewhere in the knowledge base.

Created on Jun 25, 2015 11:55:36 AM

Votes:

Yes,

It would be nice to be able to e.g. set the default limits for diskspace to volume instead of percentage. A default 25% percentage of a 4 Tb disk is not really relevant.

Having a device template for every kind of device with a harddisk is not the solution in the long run.

Created on Mar 14, 2016 9:26:02 AM

Votes:

I agree with the comments above. Please implement this feature. We have several NetApps (NAS) with a lot of volume and every volume created must be changed by hand. So we first get errors, then we have to change the values. Not very practical for us.

Please add this feature to change the values of any sensor before deploying it.

Created on May 18, 2016 9:14:13 AM

Votes:

I vote too to have possibility to change the default limit sensor

Created on Jan 11, 2017 8:16:45 AM

Votes:

+1. specially for 25% free storage default value !

Created on Feb 25, 2017 9:25:02 AM

Votes:

+1 for this "should be a basic feature" request.

@Paessler, is there a roadmap for this?

Created on May 3, 2017 11:08:28 AM

Votes:

+1 for this "should be a basic feature" request.

I agree !

Created on May 4, 2017 8:22:33 AM

Votes:

+100!!!, I agree and I vote too to have possibility to change the default limit sensor

Created on May 4, 2017 8:23:03 AM

Votes:

I see nothing has happened since 2013 - is there any plan to roll this out? This is basic functionality and really important for large environments.

Created on Jun 28, 2017 2:45:22 AM

Votes:

Thank you for the posts, we do see, read and appreciate them. Currently the solution for this is still to use device templates. They additionally offer to be able to set different "default" limits on the same sensor type, for example on different types of servers. Which actually is more flexible and powerful than just one default limit.

Created on Jun 28, 2017 7:34:38 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Created on Jun 29, 2017 8:13:57 AM

Votes:

That is correct. For manually added sensors, you can use the Multi-Edit to quickly change the limits on serval sensors (of a certain type) at once.

Created on Jun 30, 2017 10:47:50 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

It's been some time - any update on this? I would like to change the notification for the wmi memory sensor so that it doesn't notify me until it's failed 2 times

Created on Jul 3, 2018 9:18:14 PM

Votes:

There are no plans for this to be implemented sorry. We feel that both Multi-Edit and Device Templates should cover most use cases sufficiently.
@SupAdmin
You can do this by building a Library with all WMI Memory Sensors (link the library with the root node and filter for sensor type). Then add a State Trigger to the Library, and make sure its latency ("when condition persists for XXX seconds") is at least twice as long as the interval of the WMI Memory Sensors in the Library. The benefit of this approach is that newly added WMI Memory Sensors will automatically be added to the Library and get the trigger.

Created on Jul 4, 2018 11:32:58 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Im assuming this wont be developed? Its a real PITA having to edit sensors after devices have been found... Thanks

Created on Dec 6, 2018 11:45:40 AM

Votes:

I vote for adjustable default sensors, too.

it is a lot of work to edit hundres of sensors by hand.

by the way multi-edit is not possible for chaning the primary channel from "sum" to "incoming" traffic at traffic sensors. That means i have to do this work for every single sensor. Work for a stupid ape :-(

Bad, men.

I really appreciate if this feature will come as soon as possible...

Kind Regards

Robert

Created on Apr 30, 2019 4:06:26 PM

Votes:

From my perspective and I speculate many of your other customers' perspectives this seems like it should be a simple code change. Is there a technical or architectural reason why the default values for these sensors can't easily be changed? If so, I think that most of us will accept that as an answer. If not, it is hard to understand why you won't implement a function that so many customers are requesting. For every post you see here there are many more customers that would appreciate the functionality that didn't take the time to post. Why not trust the people using your product on a daily basis in real world environments to provide meaningful feedback?

Best Regards,

James

Created on Aug 12, 2019 4:37:44 PM

Votes:

It's a architectural decision indeed. We'd welcome you to open an official feature request though, following these guidelines here: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/79245-how-can-i-propose-new-features-or-sensors-for-prtg#reply-272625

Created on Aug 13, 2019 7:45:03 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Multi-edit is useless when you have some exceptions between your sensors. Templates also aren't the best way so solve this. Changing default values should be standard behavior..

Sad to see this being put aside after all these years.

Created on Sep 9, 2021 7:41:22 AM

Votes:

Thanks for your feedback on this matter
Our developers are well aware of this limitation for the sensor, and we are working on finding a solution that would be both efficient and possible to integrate on further releases.
As my colleague mentioned, we like to hear from our customers on how to improve PRTG. Unfortunately, as for right now, I think you are right, the device templates and multi-edit feature are our best way to bulk modify sensor settings.

Created on Sep 27, 2021 5:18:28 PM by  Luis Quesada (Paessler Technical Support)

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.