What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I use a status icon of a device in Maps which only considers specific sensors?

Votes:

I would like to use a “Sizeable Icon on Status Related Background” for groups and devices in PRTG Maps. However, only specific sensors of the device should be considered for the overall status display in the map.

Can I use a library in maps for this purpose?

custom-map customize html library maps prtg sunburst

Created on Feb 21, 2014 4:48:42 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Last change on Feb 21, 2014 5:47:17 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

48 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 14.1.8 or later

Sizeable Device Icon Using Specific Sensors Only for Background Status in PRTG Maps

If you use a Sizeable Icon on Status Related Background in a Map for a device or group, then the status of this object will show a cumulated status of all sensors underneath, e.g., of all sensors on this device. It is not possible to filter the status of this map object only for specific sensors by default.

Known Issues and Limitations

• This custom map-object is incompatible with public maps
  • This guide consists of customizing PRTG via custom HTML code and is not not officially supported

Use Libraries in Maps

In order to show a map icon of a device (or group) which only considers specific sensors underneath, you can add a custom map object to your PRTG installation. This map object makes use of a PRTG Library with the Sunburst view and shows the status background of a device or group related to defined sensors.

Following the guide in this article, you will get a map (object) like this:

Sunburst Library
Sunburst View of a Library

Steps to Go

1. Preparing Library and Custom Map Object

1. Tag all sensors which you want to keep together for a device/group icon status, e.g., use the tags “vms” for one and "hosts" for another bulk of sensors.
  2. Create a new library: Select Libraries | Add Library from PRTG’s main menu bar and give it an expressive name.
  3. Add a new group to the library and name it, e.g., “Server Components”.
  4. Add a new library node to this group and name it, e.g., “VMs”.
    1. Select a linked object, e.g., Root.
    2. Choose Show a collection of (filtered) sensors in the library.
    3. Choose Show objects with specific tags only.
    4. Select the desired tag, i.e., the one which you have used for the desired sensors (e.g., "vms").
  5. Add a new library node to the ("Server Components") group and name it, e.g., “Hosts”.
    1. Select a linked object, e.g., Root.
    2. Choose Show a collection of (filtered) sensors in the library.
    3. Choose Show objects with specific tags only.
    4. Select the desired tag, i.e., the one which you have used for the desired sensors (e.g., "hosts").
  6. Create a custom map object with the following code:
    For Version 17.4.35 and newer
<!--Custom Map Objects: Library Sunburst ID in HTMLbefore-->

<div class="map_object map_table <#sensor type="colorclassofstate" prefix="map_objectstate_" id="<@objectid>">" id="<@itemid>" objectid="<@objectid>" subid="<@subid>" style="overflow:hidden;<#mapobject type="coordinates" subid="<@subid>" mode="<@editmode>">">
  <#mapobject type="objectgrip" mode="<@editmode>">
  <#mapobject type="htmlbefore" subid="<@subid>" var="libid">
<style>#<@itemid> .libTree{height: 100%!important;}</style>
<div id="showalibrary" style="width:100%;height:100%;">
  <div id="libTree" class="libTree prtg-plugin" 
    data-plugin="libtree" 
    data-objectid=" <#mapobject type="htmlbefore" subid="<@subid>">"
    data-lib-name='Library'
    data-view-type="sunburst">
<!-- 
   {"objects":<#table 
      id="@libid"
      varexpand="id"
      output="json"
      count="*"
      subcheck="1"
      noraw="1"
      content="library"
      sortby="probegroupdevice"
      filter_basetype="@ntxt('sensor')"
      columns="objid,name,access=treejson,probegroupdevice=treejson,basetype,icon,favorite,fold,devicenum=textraw,groupnum=textraw,totalsens=textraw,upsens=textraw,downsens=textraw,partialdownsens=textraw,warnsens=textraw,pausedsens=textraw,unusualsens=textraw,undefinedsens=textraw,downacksens=textraw,condition,status=textraw,message=textraw,info,priority,libkind,liblinkedid">
    }
 -->
<div id="viewport"></div>
  </div>
</div>
  <#mapobject type="htmlafter" subid="<@subid>">
</div>

For older versions, please use:

<!--Custom Map Objects: Library Sunburst add ID in HTMLbefore-->

<div class="map_object map_table <#sensor type="colorclassofstate" prefix="map_objectstate_" id="<@objectid>">" id="<@itemid>" objectid="<@objectid>" subid="<@subid>" style="overflow:hidden;<#mapobject type="coordinates" subid="<@subid>" mode="<@editmode>">">
  <#mapobject type="objectgrip" mode="<@editmode>">
  <#mapobject type="htmlbefore" subid="<@subid>" var="libid">
<div id="showalibrary" style="width:100%;height:100%;">
  <style>#<@itemid> .libTree{height: auto !important}</style>
  <div id="libTree" class="libTree prtg-plugin" 
    data-plugin="libtree" 
    data-objectid=" <#mapobject type="htmlbefore" subid="<@subid>">"
    data-lib-name='Library'
    data-view-type="sunburst">
<!-- 
   {"objects":<#table 
      id="@libid"
      varexpand="id"
      output="json"
      count="*"
      subcheck="1"
      noraw="1"
      content="library"
      sortby="probegroupdevice"
      filter_basetype="@ntxt('sensor')"
      columns="objid,name,access=treejson,probegroupdevice=treejson,basetype,icon,favorite,fold,devicenum=textraw,groupnum=textraw,totalsens=textraw,upsens=textraw,downsens=textraw,partialdownsens=textraw,warnsens=textraw,pausedsens=textraw,unusualsens=textraw,undefinedsens=textraw,downacksens=textraw,condition,status=textraw,message=textraw,info,priority,libkind,liblinkedid">
    }
 -->
<div id="viewport"></div>
  </div>
</div>
  <#mapobject type="htmlafter" subid="<@subid>">
</div>

2. Creating the Map

1. Create a new map or use an existing one and open the Map Designer.
  2. Add the newly created custom map object Library Sunburst add ID in HTMLbefore to your map: On the right side under Properties, select the entry Custom Map Objects and choose your new object.
  3. Select this object, the sunburst, in the main window of the Map Designer.
  4. Under Properties on the right side, click on HTML.
  5. Add the ID of your library to the HTML Before field (single integer without ”#”, e.g. 3456). You can find the ID in the library's page header bar.
  6. Click on Save.

Finished! Now you will see immediately on your map which component exactly causes an error status of an overall group and consider only the desired sensors for this.

Created on Feb 21, 2014 5:30:46 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Last change on Feb 13, 2020 9:14:36 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Gerald,

We enjoyed your article, and we implemented it.

The first sunburst in the map works correct but the second sunburst in the same map behaves exactly the same under a different library ID ?

Is there a solution for this ?

Created on Mar 19, 2014 3:24:50 PM

Votes:

We made a correction on the custom map object code above

Created on Mar 20, 2014 7:44:39 AM by  Stefan Messner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

hello,

with this code it is not possible to view the library in sunburst, without beein logged in.

Is there a chance to change this? Or is it impossible because of access rights?

Created on Mar 31, 2014 6:56:44 AM

Votes:

Are you referring to a public map? The above map object should also work on a public map, without being logged in to PRTG.

Created on Apr 1, 2014 12:41:26 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

First of all thank you for this article.

However, I have a problem doing this.

I followed your method to create this sunburst, in order to see the ping of my different sites to reach some website. I can create the library, the tags and the nodes but the sunburst doesn't go enough deep for me ; it only shows the state of the library as I referred to it in the "HTML before" field. How can it go deeper to show the ping of my different sites ?

Thanks, Theo

Created on Apr 25, 2014 8:35:34 AM

Votes:

Hello, can you please upload some screenshots showing the Library and how it looks then on the map? Thank you.

Created on Apr 25, 2014 2:52:58 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Here it is : the library and the custom object in the map.

http://postimg.org/image/sdik4fb3t/

Thank you

Created on Apr 28, 2014 8:53:03 AM

Votes:

That's actually the intended display manner. This can't be changed I'm afraid. The sunburst-view (and also treemap-view) does not got down to sensor level. You can then only add the according sensors manually to the map. Sorry.

Created on Apr 29, 2014 7:49:42 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

So there's no way I can show all those sensors in a combined view ? Something that could for example compare the difference of latency between all my sites. Thanks, Theo

Created on Apr 29, 2014 9:52:31 AM

Votes:

Not automatically no. Sorry.

Created on Apr 29, 2014 12:36:16 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Do you mean there's a way ? With which object ?

Thanks

Created on Apr 29, 2014 12:41:37 PM

Votes:

You can add the sensors individually to the map. That would be the way. Each one by one.

Created on Apr 29, 2014 12:56:09 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Does it work now for a public map? i receive errors in IE and Firefox without to be logged in.

Created on Feb 24, 2015 2:47:13 PM

Votes:

May I ask, which exact errors do you get then? Can you please upload & show some screenshots?

Created on Feb 24, 2015 3:08:06 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

In IE11 it Loops secondwise and in Firefox he Loops too and Shows a Dialog 'not found'. When i'm logged in it works properly.

Created on Feb 24, 2015 3:18:02 PM

Votes:

On IE11 it Loops secondwise and in Firefox it Loops too and Shows secondwise this http://xild.de/display-i964b2ec1r.html

Created on Feb 25, 2015 7:52:51 AM

Last change on Feb 25, 2015 8:14:55 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

When i delete the sunburst map object it works fine in public view. How can i resolve this? We need the library sunburst view for a TV in our Control Center. the sunbursts shows us our Services (Email, ESX etc)

Created on Feb 25, 2015 9:00:47 AM

Votes:

Hi,

we are sorry but

with the security enhancements we made in PRTG, this custom map object is no longer supported on PUBLIC maps!!! Please switch you map to use normal login.

This can be done by removing /public from the maps URL.

Created on Feb 25, 2015 9:54:52 AM by  Stefan Messner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Feb 25, 2015 9:57:39 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

ok, with a readonly user it works without Auto logout. This will work for us. It will be cool to have libraries in a map ;-)

thankyou for your help

Created on Feb 25, 2015 10:10:06 AM

Votes:

Thanks for the custom map it works great.

Is there anyway to sort the sunburst NOT by # of sensors under a group? We want the sensors with 1 sensor to be valued as much as an object with 90 sensors?

Created on Jun 7, 2016 5:41:49 PM

Votes:

Is there problems with the custom map sunbusrt that when it displays on the map it cuts off the bottom of the sunburst circle?

Created on Jun 7, 2016 8:26:02 PM

Votes:

This custom sunburst map object cannot be customized (to size according to different criteria) sorry. Can you please send a a screenshot showing the cut off?

Created on Jun 8, 2016 8:53:22 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This is very helpful. Is there any way to change the sunburst view to a tree view?

Created on Oct 14, 2016 9:02:35 PM

Votes:

Sorry, this is only possible with the Sunburst.

Created on Oct 17, 2016 9:23:52 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Oct 17, 2016 9:23:59 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Any change this sunburst view will be made available for Public maps again?

I have several maps with such sunbursts on, and I need to make some maps available to customers. Instead of maintaining accounts for every customer, I'd prefer giving them the URL to a public map. But that's not going to work when there's this sunburst view on the map.

Also, I have several screens throughout the office, displaying PRTG maps. I don't want to have to login on all those screens; public maps are the way to go for this. Except for the maps having this sunburst view on them...

Kind regards,

Corné van den Bosch

Created on Mar 31, 2017 8:05:41 AM

Votes:

Hi @Torsten,

I have the same issue as mentioned by @trevorsm99:

Is there problems with the custom map sunbusrt that when it displays on the map it cuts
off the bottom of the sunburst circle?

Here is a screenshot of the issue in action: https://s25.postimg.org/9srsh8c5b/Cutoff.png

Any suggestion as to how to fix this?

Created on Mar 31, 2017 5:48:16 PM

Votes:

Evan, this should not happen anymore with the latest version of PRTG. Which version of PRTG are you running then? If it is indeed the latest, could we get access to your PRTG Interface (not a full remote session though), to debug this in a browser (if web access if possible, feel free to send us the access data via email with a reference to this KB Post)?

Created on Apr 3, 2017 10:39:46 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi @Torsten,

I contacted support as the latest version didn't fix the issue. I referenced this KB, hopefully we'll get it sorted.

Created on Apr 3, 2017 7:28:17 PM

Votes:

How do I add the custom map object to a map??? I created the HTML file in the proper folder, but I don't see how to add it to the map????

Created on Apr 6, 2017 5:13:49 PM

Votes:

TJustice, can you share the full HTML-Code of your object, and also a few screenshots illustrating where it's stored (folder-wise)?

Created on Apr 7, 2017 8:33:59 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Evan,

I updated the code above with a simple fix between line 6 and 7:

<style>#<@itemid> .libTree{height: auto !important}</style>

This will prevent the sunburst from getting cut at the bottom edge.

Best regards.

Created on Apr 19, 2017 7:53:44 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi everyone, is there a way to disable the device names? I just want to see the probe/group names.

Created on Aug 3, 2017 2:06:37 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

Unfortunately, that is not possible at the moment.

Best regards.

Created on Aug 4, 2017 5:51:05 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Is there anyway to not have a sunburst or treemap, but instead just a sizable square that changes color if a sensor in library is up or down?

Thanks,

Created on Aug 25, 2017 11:43:22 AM

Votes:

Hello dnogu860,

Please see this knowledge base article that refers to custom status-related map icons.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Aug 28, 2017 11:30:34 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Would it possible to change Font size inside this custom Sunburst view? I have a big scale with this view (4K) but font still unacceptably small.

Created on Oct 3, 2018 9:31:41 AM

Votes:

Hello Vasiliy,

Please see the following manual article to get an idea on increasing the font size:
How do I increase the font size of a table in PRTG's Maps?

Even though this article does not directly belong to your request, it might get a glimpse on what to do.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Oct 4, 2018 11:56:55 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

There post a notice: It is not possible to change the font size for a Sunburst map object because it is already adaptive. So i'm confused a little, font are not adaptive to big scale, as for Sunburst as original so as this Custom.

Created on Oct 4, 2018 12:51:02 PM

Votes:

Hello Vasiliy,

The link was only meant to give you a glimpse on the approach. Please note that we officially don't support map customization as of PRTG 17.4.35. While customization might still be possible, it is not guaranteed that it works for ever and will require a fundamental knowledge in HTML and CSS.

Please see the following article on our position towards customization of PRTG:
What is your position towards customizing the PRTG web interface?

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Oct 5, 2018 5:33:45 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello My Prtg Version is 17.3.32.2478+. after uploading the htm file and adding custom map object the sunburst is displayed in the Map Design view.but when I try to see the html page I get an ajax Error Unauthorized.Please let me how I can fix it.

Thanks

Created on Nov 10, 2018 5:40:08 AM

Votes:

Hello Sara,

To which HTML page do you refer? Do you mean when trying to display the map via the Get HTML tab?

Thank you in advance for your response.
Sebastian

Created on Nov 12, 2018 1:09:37 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

It seems the size (width) of the objects in the sunburst are sized by the amount of sensors. Is it possible to change how the object should be sized?

I have been looking for a sunburst witch can take a Library or Tags, to only show specifics servers. So this is just what I've been looking fore. We have serveres in many different groups, but I would like to display specifics servers across different groups representing services. So with the Library I can group them together. e.g. I have a group with 3 object. 2 object represent 2 cluster nodes with 20+ sensors (Ram, Disks ect.). The last object represent the cluster IP/services with only 3 sensors (Ping, service 1 & 2) The issue is that the cluster node in the sunburst is a very small thin object and you can almost not see it.

kind regards Jens M. Kofoed

Created on Nov 8, 2019 7:58:32 AM

Votes:

Can do show status icons in libraries ?

Created on Mar 3, 2021 9:57:43 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

I would recommend to take a look here about using Libraries in Maps.
In addition I would recommend you this article about using status icons.

Kind regards

Felix Wiesneth - Team Tech Support

Created on Mar 5, 2021 8:20:34 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello, I use your Custom Map Object, but I would like to know how to disable the fact that when I click on it, it redirects me to the library in question? Thanks!

Created on Apr 21, 2023 7:52:47 AM

Votes:

Hello, i have another question, i would like to have a darker green for the up state but i don't know how to do it in v23.1 of PRTG.

Thanks!

Created on Apr 21, 2023 9:20:52 AM

Votes:

Hello,
1) Please check if the library is linked as "External Link" for this map object within the map designer

2) Maybe you can find information on this here. However please note that we cannot promise that those changes are still available after an update of your instance. Please note that we don't offer support for customizing PRTG. If you need further information please check here.

Created on Apr 26, 2023 5:49:11 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.