What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Dell Compellent SAN monitoring

Votes:

Can I get Dell Compellent disk failure data in to PTRG via SNMP?

compellent dell prtg snmp

Created on Oct 23, 2014 9:14:32 AM

7 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for using PRTG. I'm afraid there is no native sensor for this in PRTG. Please check if Dell offers any MIB-Files that you can import with our MIB-Importer to monitor the target then with SNMP Library Sensors.

best regards.

Created on Oct 27, 2014 8:33:39 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

I have been sent a MIB from Dell, which I successfully import using the v3 Paessler import tool.

Import successful!

Report for C:\Users\Desktop\DELL-STORAGE-SC-MIB.mib:
Sucessfully included files: 9 of 9
Sucessfully imported OIDs: 212 of 212
OIDs that were useful for PRTG: 212

Then I save the complete MIB as a Paessler SNMP Library.

As I am running the import tool from my desktop, I then copy the saved file "DELL-STORAGE-SC-MIB.oidlib" in to the server "PRTG installation folder\snmplibs"

Then from the existing PRTG Dell Compellent SAN device we have added (using an older existing MIB). I try to add a new sensor, filter by SNMP, choose SNMP Libraries, choose the above filename. And then I get the error ..

"No available interfaces on this device (code: PE049)"

What am I doing wrong here?

Created on Oct 28, 2014 2:15:55 PM

Last change on Nov 2, 2018 1:17:54 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Can you try to use our SNMP Tester run it on the PRTG Host, and perform a scan with the imported OIDLib against the target device? Which results do you get in the tester? Please send us the result logfile from the Tester.

Created on Oct 29, 2014 12:31:07 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Have any solution been implemented yet to monitor Dell Compel-lent storage systems? We have quiet a bit of Dell Compellent SC unit that we would like to monitor.

Created on Sep 5, 2018 3:59:15 PM

Votes:

Hi Firdausi, Thanks for your interest regarding the sensor. Since I can't tell what actual metrics a user of Dell Compellent storage systems would like to monitor, would it be possible for you to create an official feature request for that and link it it here?

Describe it as detailed as possible :) Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Sep 13, 2018 8:21:25 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

For anyone who is interested, I downloaded the latest Dell SC7020 MIB and imported the converted MIB into my SNMP Library. I'm able to monitor anything that is in the converted OIDLIB file from the MIB.

Pro Tip - Understand first how the Pasessler Mib Importer works and how to use it first.

I'm pulling up Replay counts, Global Alert Status, Enclosure Service Tags and Controller status. You can add power, voltage, fans etc...

Just enable SNMP on your SAN in "Edit Storage Center Settings" Use SNMP v1/v2c enter your READ/WRITE Community String - IE: Public Click Okay.

insure PRTG is on the same VLAN as your controller IP's. Add your Primary and Secondary SAN IP's in PRTG as devices. Insure on that device that SNMP settings have the correct version and community string. If it's unique, turn off Credentials for SNMP Devices and input your SNMP version and string.

Add SNMP sensors from SNMP/Custom Library and select whatever you named the Custom OIDLIB file to IE: Dell SC7020 SAN.oidlib It will take a minute or so to load and you have a ton of SAN sensors to choose from. I'd recommend opening up the MIB Importer with the SAN MIB imported, so you can see all the options. That way it's easier to search for what you want to add in the custom library.

Created on Oct 26, 2018 4:42:58 PM

Votes:

Thanks for the guide! :) Well deserved upvote.

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Oct 26, 2018 6:10:27 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.