What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Windows Event Logs

Votes:

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but consider this a feature request as much as a tech question (about Snare).

PRTG does a great job, however one point of functionality I absolutely need is for the Windows Event Log sensors to track message history the way that the Syslog sensor does.

I need to audit certain events for compliance purposes. For example I need to audit the security event log for successful account lockouts (event 4740) and be able to report on these lo

At the moment I have set up a event log to syslog forwarder which will forward the required events from the servers to PRTG and shows the message. which is working ok so far, but it's a bit clunky, especially since I haven't been able to get Snare working with the PRTG syslog server, and have had to rely on Datagram SyslogAgent which is a bit more limited.

It seems like the functionality is there already built in, you would just need to merge the functionality of the syslog with the event log sensors. It would be a feature a lot of people would appreciate I am sure.

Barring that, help getting PRTG to pick up the syslog forwards from Snare would be great.

feature-request snare syslog windows-event-logs

Created on Jan 30, 2015 9:12:28 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This has been logged as a feature request. Thanks for the input!

Created on Feb 2, 2015 8:50:02 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

12 Replies

Votes:

Indeed, a useful Event Log sensor would be very much appreciated. Additionally, having the option of providing the actual reason for an alert (the error message appearing in the log file) right in the subject of a notification e-mail. The current metric of messages/sec is rather useless.

Created on Feb 2, 2015 8:33:22 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This has been logged as a feature request. Thanks for the input!

Created on Feb 2, 2015 8:50:02 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I second this suggestion.

Created on Feb 18, 2015 9:27:39 PM

Votes:

Me too. For compliance purposes, finding certain data and then being able to save a copy or report of it is what we need. It would be great to be able to filter syslog and Event Log results directly from the sensor, to obtain the data you require, and then save those results as a report, including the message data. Currently, being able to run a report to see the amount of syslog or event log traffic is not useful. There's also a chance that we'd need to keep data for perhaps 3 years. We could archive logs over a certain age, but we'd then have to put them back into PRTG to analyze, where I guess, currently, they would just end up being purged?

We're finding everything else very helpful, and make new discoveries on a daily basis, but the main reason we're looking at PRTG in the first place is for syslog and event log monitoring.

Created on Feb 19, 2015 1:59:00 PM

Votes:

I also would like PRTG to have much better reporting on eventlogs for our compliance and audits on our ISMS (ISO 27001:2013).

Also like to second that PRTG is great.

Created on Feb 27, 2015 3:08:19 PM

Votes:

Thanks for the compliment and note that I have logged your request as a feature request. Thanks for the input!

Created on Mar 2, 2015 8:46:56 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

+1

Created on Apr 8, 2015 12:43:25 PM

Votes:

+2 for me and a customer

Created on Apr 8, 2016 2:37:43 PM

Votes:

Please count my vote!

Created on Sep 27, 2016 6:43:05 PM

Votes:

Count my vote on this :)

Created on Nov 10, 2016 3:02:54 PM

Votes:

it is 2018, 3 years later, any update on this future request?

Created on Oct 18, 2018 6:30:48 PM

Votes:

Have you already seen this? While not exactly a message story, you could use this to store the sensor messages and search them. The feature itself is unlikely to be implemented, due to a rather low demand for it. However, please feel free to create a corresponding feature request for it that includes the requirements you feel fit for it :)

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Oct 19, 2018 1:18:11 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.