What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to troubleshoot auto-discovery?

Votes:

I'm attempting to use auto-discovery to apply a template containing a number of SNMP sensors along with a "Windows Updates Status (Powershell)" sensor. The SNMP sensors are all created, but the Powershell sensor isn't.

I came across a number of other posts which mention an Auto-Discovery log file:

I hoped to use that log for troubleshooting the issue, but couldn't find it in the mentioned folder on the probe device, nor on the target device or core server. I'm using Probe Service: V15.2.16.2230. Is there an option which needs to be enabled before this log file is created during auto-discovery?

autodiscovery powershell template

Created on Mar 7, 2016 5:14:07 PM

Last change on Mar 9, 2016 12:47:42 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,
we appreciate your contact.

Please begin by locating your PRTG's Data Directory on your Core Server. The default path is:

C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor

As of version 18.3.43 the Logs path Changed: The new logs directory is simply Logs. Within it, there is now a Debug sub-folder, in which you will find a file called CoreAutoDiscovery.log. It can be opened with any text editor. The best way to find the "correct" log entries is to look for the device ID of the device on which you ran the discovery. The logging doesn't have to be enabled, it's always enabled.

Please also note that your version is not up-to-date, please consider updating to the latest version from within Setup > Auto Update.

As of version 18.3.43 the full-path of the (default) folder that contains the Auto-Discovery log (CoreAutoDiscovery.log) is:

C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs\debug\

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Oct 10, 2018 6:50:09 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

6 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Please begin by locating your PRTG's Data Directory on your Core Server. The default path is:

That directory will contain a Logs (System) sub-folder, in which you will find a file called Auto Discovery Debug Log (1).log. It can be opened with any text editor. The best way to find the "correct" log entries is to look for the device ID of the device on which you ran the discovery. The logging doesn't have to be enabled, it's always enabled.

Please also note that your version is not up-to-date, please consider updating to the latest version from within Setup > Auto Update.

Best Regards,

Created on Mar 9, 2016 12:47:34 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Mar 9, 2016 12:48:19 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

As of version 18.3.43 the Logs path Changed: The new logs directory is simply Logs. Within it, there is now a Debug sub-folder, in which you will find a file called CoreAutoDiscovery.log. It can be opened with any text editor. The best way to find the "correct" log entries is to look for the device ID of the device on which you ran the discovery. The logging doesn't have to be enabled, it's always enabled.

As of version 18.3.43 the full-path of the (default) folder that contains the Auto-Discovery log (CoreAutoDiscovery.log) is:

C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs\debug\

Best Regards,

Created on Oct 10, 2018 6:50:09 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hi, if using a remote probe can the following be done?

Am checking the CoreAutoDiscovery.log after doing a MIB walk using SNMP Tester for the OID's below and it's not updating the log on the Core

On the probe I find under C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs\debug\currConfiguration.logcfg but it doesn't have the details as per below

Requirements

• PRTG version 16.2.25 or later (Compatibility note)
  • Since the Device Template relies on the auto-discovery process, the device you want to monitor needs to be reachable via ping.
  • This template will only work to monitor systems which are configured correctly (SNMP Working and responding to OID's from the meraki-cloud-controller-mib and IF-MIB). The following OID need to be 'walkable' via SNMP or your sensors won't be created.
    • 1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1 (ifXTable)
    • 1.3.6.1.4.1.29671.1.1.4 (devTable)

It's possible to troubleshoot the auto-discovery by inspecting the auto-discovery log, if you get entries like the one below ( NOT FOUND) it means that the required OID's aren't available.

Created on Nov 21, 2018 9:22:48 PM

Last change on Nov 22, 2018 9:55:46 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hello MarkEG,
thank you for your reply.

Am checking the CoreAutoDiscovery.log after doing a MIB walk using SNMP Tester for the OID's below and it's not updating the log on the Core

If you're using the SNMP Tester, this has no affect in PRTG whatsoever. It won't add any new information to PRTG Logs. It is a completely separate tool. The only thing that will write to the CoreAutoDiscovery.log (C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs\debug) is running the Auto-discovery within PRTG.

Best Regards,

Created on Nov 23, 2018 7:02:30 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hi everybody, I am trying to make an AutoDiscovery Troubleshooting after installing Fortigate custom sensors. I looked for CoreAutoDiscovery.log file but I didn't find it inside folders C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor. There is no Logs folder there.

My PRTG version is 19.2.50.2842+ and it works in a Windows 7 64bit machine. Can you help me find that file?

Thanks for your help.

Created on Sep 6, 2019 6:23:33 AM

Votes:

Hi Luca,

You can check the log file folder via the PRTG Administration Tool on the PRTG Core Server Host. Simply click on the Logs & Info tab to directly open the directory.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on Sep 6, 2019 8:56:57 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Last change on Sep 6, 2019 9:00:57 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.