What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Libraries in Maps - Using default objects

Votes:

Hi everyone,

I stumbled upon this: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/39883-libraries-in-maps

And wanted to expand upon it, because the code given creates a Library Tree. Say I wanted to make the Library a Sunburst, or a Gauge or an other object in Maps, what would be the best way to do that?

Would I have create a sensor for each Object I wanted to be listed via the Library view? - I am looking to have a Sunburst displayed out using a Library for now, but might want to make others available in the future.

Thanks!

custom-object library maps prtg

Created on Nov 30, 2016 3:53:42 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear Even

My previous reply was not precise enough. Currently, only the custom sunburst object can process library objects. We still plan to improve libraries to make them compatible with more map objects. However this is not something we can do quickly as it touches on a lot on other interfaces. But again, we recognize that it would be useful to have libraries displayed on maps.

Created on Dec 5, 2016 12:48:24 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

4 Replies

Votes:

Hi All,

An update from me, I found another topic: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/59942-how-can-i-use-a-status-icon-of-a-device-in-maps-which-only-considers-specific-sensors

This topic shows how to create a custom object where you can input the Library ID into the HTML Before to select the Library you want to display. This seems like the way to do these custom objects as they are flexible to all libraries instead of making a custom object for each specific library.

I will look into what it takes to create a node so that you can make any custom objects with this feature.

Created on Nov 30, 2016 4:20:20 PM

Votes:

Dear Evan

Integrating library support for maps not easy. It is something we want to get to at some point in the future. You can change some objects to also use a library as input, but not all.

The last map editor update brought the undo function. We see wide-spread use for that feature, while the overall demand for library support in maps is rather low. We intentionally provide the source code for the map objects, to allow for customization.

Created on Nov 30, 2016 6:09:11 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi @Arne,

I understand the focus on features the most users will benefit from, for sure.

Would there be a list of the objects that are compatible vs those who aren't?

I am currently trying to add something like:

<div id="showalibrary" style="width:100%;height:100%;">
  <div id="libTree" class="libTree prtg-plugin" 
    data-plugin="libtree" 
    data-objectid=" <#mapobject type="htmlbefore" subid="<@subid>">"
    data-lib-name='Library'
    data-view-type="graph">

to other objects to test capatibility with adding a library ID to give data?

Code was taken out, from a Custom Sunburst Library Sensor I got from: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/39883-libraries-in-maps

Created on Dec 2, 2016 8:47:27 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear Even

My previous reply was not precise enough. Currently, only the custom sunburst object can process library objects. We still plan to improve libraries to make them compatible with more map objects. However this is not something we can do quickly as it touches on a lot on other interfaces. But again, we recognize that it would be useful to have libraries displayed on maps.

Created on Dec 5, 2016 12:48:24 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.