What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Configure Windows Firewall Rules

Votes:

SNMP settings are already done, in the PRTG console side and also on the cliente side, but communication is failure. I verified firewall rules and SNMP service (port 161) is allowed. Do I need to allow another port to permit the communication thru Windows Firewall. Windows Firewall must be up by compliance.

firewall prtg snmp

Created on May 11, 2017 2:38:08 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

If you're working with SNMP the Firewall rules will be straightforward:

NameProtocolPortSourceDestinationAction
SNMPUDP161anyanyallow

The most common issue is actually the configuration and setup of the SNMP agent on Windows:

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on May 12, 2017 10:50:41 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

This firewall rule is already configured at the device, it had been defined during the SNMP windows feature installation process. SNMP community is also configured.

In a external environment, when Firewall is down, the PRGT can deployed SNMP sensor on the device.

Do I need to configure another parameters on the device.

Created on May 12, 2017 11:15:21 AM

Votes:

Assuming that you're monitoring a Windows machine, check the "Accept SNMP packets from any host".

Best Regards,

Created on May 12, 2017 11:32:35 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

I verified the link provided and followed the steps as indicated, but the issue still persist.

Created on May 12, 2017 6:38:53 PM

Votes:

Please download our latest SNMP Tester, run it on the PRTG Host (or host of the Remote Probe), and perform the "Read Device Uptime" test against the target device, please ensure to configure the proper community, port, device ip/name and SNMP Version.

Which results do you get in the Tester? Please copy/paste the output of the SNMP Tester when replying.

Best Regards,

Created on May 15, 2017 11:34:35 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.