What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Nimble storage and VMware VCSA sensors

Votes:

Hi, Are there any plans on developing Nimble disk arrays and VMware vCenter Server Appliance (the linux version) sensors?

nimble sensor vcsa

Created on Jun 20, 2017 10:39:40 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Kindly check out the following for monitoring Nimble storages. It's a compilation of device templates, lookups and MIB files. Just copy all files in the corresponding folders in PRTGs application directory and configure the device template for the Nimble storage:

Nimble device template on Gitlab

Let me know if it worked! Note that it's currently in a proof of concept state.

Kind regards
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Feb 22, 2018 2:39:09 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

24 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Currently there are no plans to implement Nimble Storage Sensors. You can however try to monitor the device via SNMP and their corresponding MIBs:
https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/653-how-do-snmp-mibs-and-oids-work
https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/743-where-can-i-find-mib-files-for-my-device
https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/733-how-can-i-import-my-mib-files-into-prtg

About VCSA, you can monitor them already via the "VMWare Virtual Machine Sensor (SOAP)" or the "VMWare Datastore Sensor (SOAP)", the other SOAP sensors have to be added to the ESXi Servers instead of the VCenter:
https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/vmware_host_performance_soap_sensor
https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/vmware_host_hardware_status_soap_sensor

Best regards.

Created on Jun 21, 2017 11:18:07 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

nice one, the SOAP sensors work fine with VCSA 6.5, thank you!

Created on Jun 22, 2017 9:25:28 AM

Votes:

Hi Support....can you urgently develop a Nimble Sensor please as there still doesn't seem to be one. Thank you. Nimbles are very common now.

Created on Jan 15, 2018 10:03:13 AM

Votes:

Hi Mike,

As of now, there are not as many customers requesting this type of sensor: Roundabout 30 since 2016. We'll keep an eye on the necessity for those sensors. If demand rises, we'll take a look.

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support

Created on Jan 15, 2018 11:30:35 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi there, as others have requested it would be great to get Nimble sensors in place.

Created on Feb 11, 2018 10:20:02 PM

Votes:

Hello, we vote also for a nimble sensor.

Created on Feb 12, 2018 10:06:26 AM

Votes:

I'd also like to voice support for a Nimble sensor. It's our main storage and not having a sensor for it is a bummer.

Created on Feb 21, 2018 1:03:11 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Kindly check out the following for monitoring Nimble storages. It's a compilation of device templates, lookups and MIB files. Just copy all files in the corresponding folders in PRTGs application directory and configure the device template for the Nimble storage:

Nimble device template on Gitlab

Let me know if it worked! Note that it's currently in a proof of concept state.

Kind regards

Created on Feb 22, 2018 2:39:09 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Stephan, I tried the solution and it looks good. Best regards

Created on Feb 22, 2018 3:29:21 PM

Votes:

Nice - does it monitor all important metrics or are you missing something you'd consider important?

Kind regards,

Created on Feb 23, 2018 8:13:55 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

+1 vote for PRTG native Nimble sensors. Right now i'm monitoring things via SNMP and it's eating up a bunch of SNMP sensors because each individual OID is a single sensor rather than grouped into channels on one sensor.

I will look at the link above and try it, but i would prefer a Paessler supported option.

Created on Mar 9, 2018 4:26:07 PM

Votes:

I was really hopeful about this, but I can't seem to get this to work. I copied the files to their folders in PRTG, rebooted the server and the Nimble device template appears in the auto-discovery list, but nothing is found. I also don't see the sensors if I try to add them manually.

Any ideas?

Created on Mar 9, 2018 8:58:06 PM

Votes:

Hello lonewaffle,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Did you make sure to enable and set-up SNMP properly? What's the result when adding a SNMP System Uptime sensor to the Nimble device within PRTG. Do you receive valid results with this sensor?

Thank you very much in advance.
Sebastian

Created on Mar 12, 2018 6:28:03 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Sorry, I must've been half asleep that day. I realized after I had submitted my last post that I had forgotten to configure SNMP on the Nimbles themselves. Once I did that, it all started working great.

Thanks!

Created on Mar 14, 2018 1:27:08 PM

Votes:

;)

Created on Mar 14, 2018 9:56:54 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I too would like to see an integrated sensor. I ran auto discovery using the Nimble template, but it is not working as expected. It is displaying this message: No Such Name (SNMP error # 2) Sensor Vol: [[tableoid].1.3.1]

So far the only sensors I have had sucess with are very basic, ping, http and uptime. Should I expect to see the Nimble sensor when I try to add a sensor ??

Created on Mar 23, 2018 2:32:16 PM

Votes:

Hello Joe,

Thank you very much for your reply.

No, the Nimble template is a Device Template which adds its sensors automatically when running an template based Auto-Discovery on the targeted device.
Please see the corresponding manual article on how and where to save the device templates.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Mar 26, 2018 10:55:50 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

+1 for native nimble sensors. We have 2x SF300

Created on Apr 26, 2018 5:10:46 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

Have you tried the above device template for Nimble Storages?
https://gitlab.com/PRTG/Device-Templates/Nimble-Storage/

Best regards.

Created on Apr 26, 2018 1:27:42 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'm going to add my vote for a request for Nimble sensors. I do have the Nimble storage sensors installed, but I'm missing quite a bit of information that I would consider essential - monitoring the overall storage capacity (it shows the capacity for each individual volume, but not for the whole array) nor does it indicate whether there are any dead disks in the array.

Created on Aug 14, 2018 12:31:16 AM

Votes:

Just installed the Nimble storage template - it works! Couple questions:

1) if the volumes on the nimble changes do we just re-run auto-discover? Currently I have it set for daily rediscover.

2) Is there a lead sensor, like a ping or anything? If there's a network issue between PRTG and the Nimble am I going to get 20 alerts, one for each volume?

3) Shows a list of volumes, any way to show the name of the volumes? Vol: [[tableoid].1.3.11] doesn't mean much to me.

Created on Sep 19, 2018 5:04:49 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

1.) New Volumes will be discovered as well as the old ones as long as the table is not changing.

2.) As far as I can see the template only adds the Volumes, otherwise you would see a Ping Sensor. However when you run an auto-discovery, just select both the "Ping Only" and the Nimble template.

3.) That should work, as long as the table holds data on the device under the OID "1.3.6.1.4.1.37447.1.2.1.3". You can check that with our SNMP Tester.

Best regards.

Created on Sep 19, 2018 6:55:47 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Found this article while searching for native PRTG support for monitoring our new HPE Nimble storage. Has anything happened since 19-09-2018 ? Can't find anything else in the knowledge base (not even a feature request) and the download of the template on Gitlab isn't working anymore and hasn't been maintained in 3 years, so I'm kind of stuck here.

Created on Oct 26, 2021 1:48:16 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

According to our roadmap this is not planned yet: https://www.paessler.com/prtg/roadmap

Created on Oct 29, 2021 10:45:04 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.