What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I test the functionality of my SNMP device?

Votes:

I have problems with receiving SNMP data. How can I test my SNMP device at protocol level?

error installation snmp software

Created on Feb 10, 2010 10:53:37 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Jan 17, 2023 12:46:51 PM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies as of PRTG 22

Debug SNMP issues with SNMP Tester

With SNMP Tester, you can run simple SNMP requests against a device in your network. This test program is based on the SNMP technologies built in to PRTG.

Benefits

SNMP Tester aims to:

• Enable SNMP debugging to find communication and/or data issues in SNMP monitoring configurations.
  • Perform SNMP walks. You can use the Walk option of SNMP Tester to check OIDs, and to discover OIDs that you can use to access custom monitoring objects. See this article for step-by-step instructions How do I find out which OID I need for an SNMP Custom sensor?.

Findings

• If an SNMP connection works with SNMP Tester, it will also work with PRTG.
  • If you need analysis, check the log file in the SNMP Tester data folder. You will find the exact protocol of every step of an executed SNMP request in that log file.

Download and documentation

See the SNMP Tester page for more information, the documentation, and a download link.

More

Created on Feb 10, 2010 10:54:18 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Jan 17, 2023 12:53:57 PM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.