What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Groups, sensors, probes and map

Votes:

Good afternoon,

I'm creating the new PRTG server for my company and I've got a litlle problem about how to organize my sensors.

First of all I've to define two different kind of sensors: VIP and normal. Normal sensors follow a schedule that let them run only from 8am to 8pm; VIP sensors run 24h;

Another important thing is that I need to see all the VIP sensors in a map, using a sunburst or a treemap object.

My current structure is: Remote_Probe1 > Server1 >>> Server1_Sensor1 (with normal schedule) >>> Server1_Sensor2 (with normal schedule) >>> Server1_Sensor3 (with VIP schedule) >>> Server1_Sensor4 (with normal schedule)

Remote_Probe2 > Server2 >>> Server1_Sensor1 (with normal schedule) >>> Server1_Sensor2 (with VIP schedule)

How can I show all the VIP scheduled sensors in a single Sunburst/Treemap object? I see that I can add tags, but I can't use them to filter the sensors shown in the sunburst/treemap, is there a way to achieve this?

maps prtg tags

Created on May 17, 2018 1:22:37 PM

7 Replies

Votes:

Hello Andrea,

I think the best solution is to work with a library (https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/libraries). In a library, you can add nodes where you can filter with a tag or a priority.

I hope this fits your requirements.

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on May 18, 2018 12:39:56 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Libraries can help me grouping sensors but how can I choose a library as source for an object in a map?

Created on May 21, 2018 1:28:09 PM

Votes:

Andrea,

We have another KB that talks about this.

https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/39883-libraries-in-maps

Created on May 21, 2018 1:35:30 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

I tried use that script but the object doesn't appear (I mean that in the right part of the Map Designer under the "Custom Object" section there'snt the object), why?

I see that since 2012 customer ask for this feature, I really hope that Paessler listen to use and allow us to use Library as source for object in map ...

Created on May 23, 2018 10:01:13 AM

Votes:

Andrea,

Can you open a support ticket, and send me the map object htm file you created?

Created on May 23, 2018 11:42:46 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

I tried this: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/59942-how-can-i-use-a-status-icon-of-a-device-in-maps-which-only-considers-specific-sensors

and now it works.

The bad thing is that I see only the node, and not the child of it, is it possibile to show the childs of the node?

Created on May 23, 2018 12:08:13 PM

Votes:

Only when the child objects of the node are devices or groups.

Created on May 23, 2018 12:56:57 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.