What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring Apache for Error Rate

Votes:

Is there a way to monitor Apache 2.2.x (httpd) using SNMP or any other means to track the number of error responses (HTTP status codes 5xx)?

apache httpd snmp

Created on Jul 9, 2018 3:29:10 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello Bob,

Thank you very much for your contact.

There are multiple approaches to monitor an Apache web server.

• You can enable SNMP on the machine running and monitor the Apache process directly using the "SNMP Library" sensor as describes here.
  • Alternatively, and also recommend would be the HTTP sensor in addition to the process. The sensor monitors a web server using Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP). This is the easiest way to monitor if a website (or a specific website element) is reachable.

In this case however please note that the monitored website is able to output different HTTP status codes to allow the sensor to work properly.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Jul 10, 2018 8:57:22 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 10, 2018 8:57:34 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you for your reply Sebastian, however none of these approaches fulfill my requirement. What I need is to track the number of HTTP errors that the Apache server serves over time. - Monitoring the Apache process via SNMP only provides stats on the process (status, process count, etc) - The HTTP sensor only monitors a particular URL

What I'm looking for would be similar to the WMI IIS sensor, tracking requests/s and errors/s only it would be for Apache rather than IIS.

Note: The WMI IIS sensor actually only reports "Not Found Errors"/s which equates to an HTTP status 404. If I could actually get "Errors"/s from either IIS or Apache I would be in business.

Created on Jul 10, 2018 9:12:39 PM

Votes:

Hello Bob,

Thank you very much for the clarification.

Please have a look at the following information. Configure the mod_status properly which will allow you to monitor it via the HTTP Apache ModStatus PerfStats sensor. This might be an approach in the right direction but won't allow you to monitor the error stats precisely though.
They are per default not saved such as IIS does so this monitoring the HTTP response codes will be more complicated and will require a Custom Sensor. You need something such an apache_status web page that creates a json or xml output, which is able to be interpreted by the HTTP Advanced sensor correctly. This page should provide the totals for 2xx, 3xx, 4xx and 5xx replies for example.

Please note that we are not able to provide technical support for custom sensors.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Jul 11, 2018 8:12:20 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Understood. I was hoping there would be an "out-of-the-box" approach, but you have confirmed for me that something custom would be needed. Thank you.

Created on Jul 13, 2018 8:01:37 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.