What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring changes to PRTG by users

Votes:

In order to properly track changes to PRTG is there a way to get notified when a device or sensor is added or deleted? I know these things show up in the log.htm page but those logs are filled with other items. I need to specifically see when a device or sensor change was made and hopefully by which user.

If this isn't available in PRTG itself is there a log file I can manually search?

logs notification-email prtg

Created on Sep 18, 2018 2:16:53 PM

6 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

That would be the webserver access log, located under the following path:

C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs\webserver\WebServer.log

Simply search for /deleteobject.htm. It will contain the following information:

#322438 2018-09-19 14:05:22 169.254.89.168 "user100" nue-ws-112 80 GET /deleteobject.htm _hjax=true&id=17849
  |           |                            |  Object ID _______________________________________________|
  |           |                   User ID__|
  |           |__________________ Timestamp
  |_ ____________________________ Line# 

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Sep 19, 2018 12:09:31 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Stephan,

Is there a more audit-kind of log file that could be reviewed?

This topic started in the SpiceWorks forum and we redirected it here. There are a few people that already expressed their interest in it, including myself.

We have e.g. a Junior Admin here that is taking on more and more responsibilities, including PRTG. What we are after is pretty much a summary report - can be a simple website in PRTG - that shows:

When - Who - Object and What changed / happened

The webserver log is to be read in interpreted - but this is not easy when it comes to details like:

What sensor - this should be the whole path in the hierarchy What changes on the object - was it added - was it deleted - was it modified If it was modified - what changed, e.g.

• limits for error/warning adjust from OLD to NEW
  • description changed from OLD to NEW

On top even events like PAUSED - ACK - RESUME etc. would be important to see in the AUDIT LOG

Pretty sure you see where this is going. This would be a really helpful feature - call it AUDIT LOG

Caught myself several times discovering even more experienced peers changing things they should have changed..

Regards

Florian Rossmark

www.it-admins.com

Created on Sep 19, 2018 1:43:05 PM

Votes:

Thanks. That's exactly what I'm looking for.

Created on Sep 19, 2018 1:43:29 PM

Votes:

@Florian This screams for a Feature Request ;)

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,

Created on Sep 19, 2018 1:47:18 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Posted a feature request - it should be pending approval. Please put the link here upon approval if you can.

Thank you, Florian Rossmark

Created on Sep 19, 2018 3:42:42 PM

Votes:

Hi Florian,

Done :) This feature request has been converted into an official feature request:
https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/81489-audit-logging-tracking-changes-within-the-prtg-sensor-configuration

Please read our new guide on how we want to handle feature requests in future. Thanks!

Kind regards,

Created on Sep 20, 2018 5:39:03 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.