What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Since upgrade of vcenter, our vmware sensors are in down status due to invalid credentials. I've alr

Votes:

Hello, My issue started with sensors monitoring datastores from vSphere. The sensor type is VMware Datastore (SOAP) and it has a user that gets the data from vSphere. After an upgrade on the version of vSphere all the sensors getting data for it have entered error state : "Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password." The error message is self-explanatory but seems to be incorrect. I've logged in with the PRTG user in vsphere and it's working properly. I've initially suspected that something like an AD authentication might be the cause (i've looked over this post https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/78274-why-are-my-vmware-sensors-not-working-after-upgrading-to-vcsa-6-5-u1) but after checking with someone from out Infrastructure department that manages vsphere they said it should not be the case. At the moment I am not sure how to proceed with this, can you help ?

authentication user-accounts vmi vsphere

Created on Dec 7, 2018 3:43:22 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi Adrian,

Just out of curiosity, did you already try to configure the root user in the credential section? Accessing <esxi-ip>/MOB is also possible via a browser on the PRTG Server itself?

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Dec 10, 2018 11:15:45 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Stephan, - credentials for the user are ok, I am 100% sure of that; - i've tested access to <esxi-ip>/MOB via browser from the PRTG server and everything works properly and i can authenticate with the prtg user.

Created on Dec 10, 2018 4:22:48 PM

Votes:

Okay, what version combination are you using? PRTG and ESXi; please enable the write result to disk option and post the logs with !nopublish so it will remain invisible. They reside in the following dir:

C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs (Sensors)

Thanks in advance!

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Dec 10, 2018 7:53:52 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.