What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Dynamic Map Objects sizing and layout

Votes:

Is there a feature to allow PRTG Maps to dynamically scale to the browser size. I've been looking and can't seem to find anything like that. Maps are all a specific width x height. I don't mind the scrolling up and down but I'd like to have it be 100% of the width of the viewing browser. If this isn't a feature is it on the roadmap somewhere?

Thanks, Doug

dynamic maps mapshow

Created on Dec 12, 2018 2:21:03 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Did I miss something here? Isn't that what you want?

https://prtg.accriva.info/help/maps_settings.htm#maplayout

Automatic Scaling

Define if you want the map to automatically adapt to your screen size. Choose between:

Scale map view to fit browser size: The size of the map automatically adapts to the 
size of your screen. Choose this method if the map is shown on various screens with 
different resolutions so that it uses the available space in the browser window in the 
best possible way.

Do not auto-scale map view: The map uses always the size that you define above.

It won't always do the 100% width, but it does the height. Having said this - it would be nice if you could chose to use either the height or the width - but that's a different story. It still scales for sure. Using that all the time myself.

Regards

Florian Rossmark

www.it-admins.com

Created on Dec 13, 2018 2:40:04 PM

7 Replies

Votes:

As of now, maps in PRTG are always of a fixed size. If you require dynamic scaling, Grafana might be an alternative for you?

Edit As mentioned by Florian, Scale map view to fit browser size might be what you're looking for.

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Dec 13, 2018 1:09:56 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 13, 2018 3:11:08 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I saw the the link to that answer, but the 3rd party plugin that Grafana uses to communicate with PRTG is no longer supported by the author. I did give it a try but could not get the plugin to communicate with my PRTG installation.

Thanks, Doug

Created on Dec 13, 2018 1:15:37 PM

Votes:

That's a real shame, I gotta mark it accordingly. Did you use /api with the URL and the passhash instead of the password? Restarting Grafana after installing the plugin also helps.

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Dec 13, 2018 2:32:48 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Did I miss something here? Isn't that what you want?

https://prtg.accriva.info/help/maps_settings.htm#maplayout

Automatic Scaling

Define if you want the map to automatically adapt to your screen size. Choose between:

Scale map view to fit browser size: The size of the map automatically adapts to the 
size of your screen. Choose this method if the map is shown on various screens with 
different resolutions so that it uses the available space in the browser window in the 
best possible way.

Do not auto-scale map view: The map uses always the size that you define above.

It won't always do the 100% width, but it does the height. Having said this - it would be nice if you could chose to use either the height or the width - but that's a different story. It still scales for sure. Using that all the time myself.

Regards

Florian Rossmark

www.it-admins.com

Created on Dec 13, 2018 2:40:04 PM

Votes:

I did play with this setting so maybe my question wasn't as straightforward as I should have been. I need it to autoscale to fit width but not height. The current map I'm using doesn't work well autoscaled height.

Thanks, Doug

Created on Dec 13, 2018 3:47:33 PM

Votes:

So - it would be nice if Paessler would let you chose the scale...

As a work-around this might help:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/11382473/resize-external-website-content-to-fit-iframe-width

Did not test it - but my basic idea was to create a web-site / html file that holds a IFRAME and this iframe loads the map. You then scale the content in the iframe to your needs.

In theory that could work - you sometimes can transform this stuff on the fly - just never tried it.

If you aren't familiar with HTML I might be able to play a bit with that stuff... just let me know...

Florian

Created on Dec 13, 2018 5:25:42 PM

Votes:

Thanks for the hint to use the passhash. The docs say it and I just saw the word password. That made Grafana connect. Thanks!

Created on Dec 14, 2018 5:14:32 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.