What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

"No configuration file found" after move

Votes:

I recently used this documentation to move my PRTG Data folder to a NAS mounted at Z:\PRTG https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/543-how-can-i-change-the-data-directory-of-my-prtg-installation

When I set my configuration locations (In the Admin Tool under the Core & Probe Settings tabs), then started the services up again, I get the following in PRTG Web interface:

PRTG Network Monitor 18.4.46.1754 x64 The server was stopped System Emergency. The system was stopped because of the following: No configuration file found, but monitoring data for an unknown configuration exists! Please restart the core server service after your actions.

My "PRTG Configuration.dat" is definitely at the root of Z:\PRTG, but I tried to restore it just in case using https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/12313-how-do-i-restore-a-previous-configuration-of-prtg-from-automated-backup-zips. No change.

Thoughts on why PRTG can't see my config file?

error prtg service

Created on Dec 20, 2018 11:06:45 PM

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This is because the mount doesn't exist for your PRTG's LOCAL_System user (the one executing the services). While it's not recommended to use a network path for configuration and data (simply due to IO latency). In this case, please use the UNC path format, like this:

\\<ip-or-fqdn-of-your-nas>\path\to\prtg\data\directory

This should then work properly. However, if username and password are required, you may need to make the share writable for everybody (perhaps limit the share access via an IP instead then).

PRTG Scheduler | PRTGapi | Feature Requests | WMI Issues | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Dec 21, 2018 9:46:58 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.