What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Whether one can use PRTG to monitor VxRail infrastructure

Votes:

Aware PRTG can monitor DELL devices.

Would like to ask whether it can monitor VxRail infrastructire ? If yes, is there any document / KB which describe the corresponding senor's capability.

Found the following articles from the community and there seems no much informtion. https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/85092-sensor-vmware-hardware-host-status-soap-dell-vxrail https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/85125-monitoring-dell-vxrail-vsan

Any advice or known issues of using it to monitor VxRail will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

monitor prtg vxrail

Created on Sep 6, 2019 10:36:45 AM

6 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi slic2019,

Thank you for the post.

At the moment we don't have a native Sensor for VxRail devices. However, if the target device supports SNMP, you can request the corresponding MIB files from DELL. In this way, you can use the SNMP Library Sensor.

Created on Sep 6, 2019 11:55:01 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Moritz,

Thanks.

Any extra feedback from anyone else will be most welcome.

Created on Sep 6, 2019 12:58:56 PM

Votes:

Dear Moritz,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. Is there any known issue if one adopt this approach to monitor VxRail devices ? Do you know whether there is any plan to include that in furture PRTG release ? Thanks again

Dear other memeber,

If you have any tips or experience in using PRRG to monitor VxRail devices, please feel free to share. Thanks a lot.

Created on Sep 9, 2019 4:17:59 AM

Votes:

Hi slic2019,

Thank you for the feedback.

At the moment, we have no feature request regarding this topic. Therefore, I recommend to create a Feature Request following this guide.
Furthermore, I recommend to take a look at our roadmap.

Created on Sep 9, 2019 6:12:26 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

It has been a couple of years since this VxRail question was asked so I thought I might inquire again.

Looks like someone has tried to monitor VxRail with our PRTG and it is showing 185 unknown elements per ESXi host :)

Created on Jul 8, 2021 11:06:27 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

In PRTG are no native Sensors which can monitor this application. However, as mentioned in the following article, you can try to use the REST Custom Sensor: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/85125-monitoring-dell-vxrail-vsan

Created on Jul 9, 2021 10:49:41 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.