What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

feature request; monitor power supplies and fan's on HPe switches

Votes:

We sell redundant power supplie's and fan's on HPe switches. We promise the customer that this will increase his uptime. If the first fan or power supply breaks down, PRTG does not notice this.

My request is that there is a warning when a power supply or fan fails.

PS We use the auto-discover function to add switches. There is an alternative way to do this but is very labor intensive and all Paessler customers with HPe switches need to do this. (specific OID that return the value or import the MIB Files. https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/65638-can-t-find-a-sensor-for-my-device-in-prtg-but-i-believe-it-supports-snmp-how-to-proceed )

add-feature hpe sensor switch

Created on Aug 19, 2021 10:00:22 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Cees, I'm afraid the sensor can only used with HPE ProLiant server and cannot be used to monitor switches. There are no native sensors for HPe switches currently, so you would need to use custom SNMP sensors in this case. Have you seen this one already?

Created on Aug 25, 2021 5:38:41 PM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello,
You can find all available sensors here.This sensor might be of interest for you. Otherwise the power supply and fans needs to be monitored using custom snmp sensors I'm afraid. If you are looking for native sensors, feel free to open a new official feature request as explained here.

Created on Aug 23, 2021 8:02:50 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Timo, Thanks for your fast reply. The sensor you are referring for is for a HPe Host. That sensor is very fine. it measures about everything, including fans and power supply's. Can I use that sensor for monitoring switches? Cees

Created on Aug 24, 2021 6:47:39 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Cees, I'm afraid the sensor can only used with HPE ProLiant server and cannot be used to monitor switches. There are no native sensors for HPe switches currently, so you would need to use custom SNMP sensors in this case. Have you seen this one already?

Created on Aug 25, 2021 5:38:41 PM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Timo, this link is VERY helpfull. Thanks. This saves us lots of time.

Created on Aug 26, 2021 7:20:33 AM

Last change on Aug 26, 2021 12:02:22 PM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Glad I could help! :)

Created on Aug 26, 2021 12:02:10 PM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.