What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Down status is not error

Votes:

Hello,

We use PRTG to monitor Network health, and for monitor used computers.

When a system device goes down, that is obviously error. So show on reports, and on graph too. But when a worker turn off his device at the end of working hours, that's not error. That is a showable important, but not urgent and not risky event and status.

How can I set pingsensor, to show down state as normal event, and not as error event? Maybe can I set worktime? When error if lost connection, but no problem if worker on holiday? And out of worktime "error" if down status changed live?

Gery

Sorry for my English, If something not clear I try to use other formulate.

down error ping

Created on Oct 10, 2019 8:00:34 AM

8 Replies

Votes:

Gery,

I would highly suggest you use Schedules here.

PRTG Scheduling

With scheduling, you can setup periods of time where PRTG will and will not alert you. So for user workstations, you could setup a schedule for working hours. So anything that happens during working hours, you will get an alert. But after working hours, notifications would be suppressed. Does this sound correct to you?

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Oct 10, 2019 8:16:28 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

I will try it Today.

Created on Oct 10, 2019 8:54:15 AM

Votes:

Benjamin,

As I read, the schedule pauses not only the alert, but also the sensor.

I need sensor data, but Down status not ERROR status on Workstations.

It does not little difference, Server temperature goes up, or workstation turned down.

If I have 30 workstation down, not same 5 server down. The graph show night high error, but we have no real error because all server run.

But my boss need to know, who worked on weekend, or who doesnt worked on workdays. So I need the sensor information.

Gery

Created on Oct 10, 2019 9:16:20 AM

Votes:

Gery,

OK, then you will need to create a notification template, and you can apply that schedule to that template.

This way, you can still have the sensor data stored for the devices and sensors, but the template itself will not run outside business hours.

Would this work for you?

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Oct 10, 2019 10:40:56 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

So, if I make a notification template, then the Ping Down status will not show on alarm graph?

Created on Oct 10, 2019 11:15:31 AM

Votes:

Sorry, On Device/Group Root /2 Days\ On top is a graph with Alarm/Response time/CPU load/Traffic Index data lines. On this graph show Ping Sensor Acknowledged Down status as Alarm and now the line on 2 because 2 host turned off. And when users goes home, the alarm line goes up. But no real alarm. And if occurs real alarm, I will not see the difference 24 to 25 but in needed way 0 to 1. Gery

Created on Oct 10, 2019 11:30:03 AM

Votes:

Gery,

This is getting to be too much for the KB. Please open a support ticket.

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Oct 10, 2019 11:32:39 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

I saw same questions in the KB: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/9833-feature:-ignore-error-status-of-ping-sensor-for-switched-off-devices https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/75555-disable-alarm-on-ping-sensors https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/43603-non-alarming-ping

I think, this is the answer after 9 year too: this has not been implemented, but is still on the wishlist for a future version of PRTG (though no ETA available yet).

Best Regards. BR Gery

Created on Oct 10, 2019 11:47:11 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.